Output settings - DVD

Output settings - DVD (May 06, 2009 02:24AM) CarterC
Hello all-

I have a very basic problem.

I'm helping a friend who teaches a media class at a public school.

I should state in advance that we must work with the gear and software at hand; he can't order more, and I can't lend him any.

He has a current version of FCP on the school's Mac, but no Compressor or DVD Studio. He also has a copy of Roxio myDVD
on a PC.

He has shot SD video and created Quicktime movies on the Mac, and transferred them to the PC, where DVDs were successfully burned. However, the quality is very low. I suspect it's his output settings in FCP.

Now, to the 'basic' question: What are the recommended output settings from FCP to QT movie, in order to burn a high quality DVD?

I'm accustomed to using Compressor, but since he doesn't have it, I need to maximize at the output.

Huge thanks,

Carter

Re: Output settings - DVD (May 06, 2009 07:27AM) David Harbsmeier
>What are the recommended output settings from FCP to QT movie, in order to burn a high quality DVD?

Is he planning to use myDVD on the Windows system, or iDVD on the Mac?

If it's iDVD, just export a QuickTime Movie (File->Export->QuickTime Movie) using current settings and do NOT recompress all frames. Include chapter makers if needed.

If it's going to be myDVD, find out which codec/formats it accepts for both the audio and video.

-DH
Re: Output settings - DVD (May 07, 2009 01:39AM) CarterC
Thanks much, guys.

As I mentioned, we are stuck with myDVD and he has burned some DVDs from QT with it, with mediocre results.

I'll give your suggestions a spin.

Thanks again!

-CC
Re: Output settings - DVD (May 06, 2009 09:10PM) ronny courtens
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login