Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard

Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 15, 2009 05:05PM) Tom Stitzer
Just read a bit by Larry Jordan that says since FCS2 is based on Carbon, it won't run on Snow Leopard due to it's being based on Cocoa. I was totally gung ho on upgrading at such a reduced cost($29), but if I need to upgrade FCS2 to FCS3 then the cost is so much higher. Granted the tradeoff would be FCS3 would be built to take advantage of multiple processors, so performance would be amplified but still...

Thoughts? Would Apple really push for people to upgrade (seriously, only $29) but then break old apps in the process? Surely there'd be some way to run FCS2 in Snow Leopard, no? It seems a bit strange to me...
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 15, 2009 05:19PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Tom,

Sorry, not buying it.

No Sir.

--ken
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 15, 2009 06:05PM) Tom Stitzer
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 16, 2009 12:16AM) Andy
He's wrong this time Tom. Larry is an awesome guy, and Final Cut Studio guru he certainly is ... but one can't be everything and he's not a OS guru. He's also always the first to admit and correct any errors that inevitably creep into such reports, and I believe he already amended that section.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 16, 2009 04:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
And no one is perfect and no one gets everything right all the time. He certainly has gotten things wrong in the past. (we all have)

To say that FC Studio 2 will not run in Snow Leopard because it is Carbon would mean that every other application that I have on my Mac, which are also Carbon, will not run on Snow Leopard. That's almost all of my software.

I suspect (read hope) that some of the FC Studio 3 apps will take advantage of features found in Snow Leopard.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (September 15, 2009 12:05PM) kennbass
Okay, after reading all the above comments, I'll play the role of the confused idiot. Is it not safe to run FCS 2 on Snow Leopard? Does this mean I have to deinstall snow leopard now? I can't afford the upgrade to FCS 3. I've had a couple of crashes, but attributed it to an unstable firewire connection on my G-Tech drive.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (January 31, 2010 04:45PM) kwahamot
Seems like upgrading to Snow Leopard blew away some of my FCS 2 apps. QT Pro is gone! I'm not sure what else is missing. I was wondering why I had so much more free disk space after the upgrade. Final Cut 6 seems to run fine though.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (February 19, 2010 07:32PM) RK
You guys... You should bloody listen. HE WAS RIGHT. Larry was right. I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Now Soundtrack Pro 2 crashes on me constantly. I have to get Soundtrack Pro 3 / FCS3.
@#$%&.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (May 18, 2010 09:24PM) mlansdell
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (September 09, 2010 06:21AM) rudy
ahh, but can one reintstall fcs2 onto a mac that is running snow leopard? got a new (to me) intel tower mac pro and have already upgraded to snow leopard and getting rid of my old imac. keeping my fcs2 and was under the impression that i could install it with snow leopard. i do understand that fcs3 is best to take advantage of snow leopard's abilities.
any thoughts this late in the game?
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 19, 2009 10:30AM) philiphodgetts
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 20, 2009 06:46AM) steve douglas
Thanks for the great exploration and history lesson. I just hope that when Studio 3 is released for Snow Leopard, there will not be massive bugs and crashes.
Steve
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 22, 2009 10:02AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to us.

Oh yes, sometimes I am an idiot, does that count?

--ken
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (June 22, 2009 11:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
As message from Larry Jordan.

"Thanks for all your comments and thoughts on this. My information for
my posting was based on talking with both programmers and
knowledgeable engineers. However, I would be foolish to ignore the
expertise of Philip Hodgetts and others. If I've made a mistake, I'll
correct it. My bigger point was two-fold: to explain why I felt the
next version of FCP would not ship until after Snow Leopard and to
begin to explore the impact Snow Leopard may have on Final Cut editors.

As always, I am always interested in everyone's comments on anything I
write, and if I make mistakes I'll correct them as fast as they are
pointed out.

Larry"
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (July 24, 2009 06:36AM) hdprice
Hey folks. Just tested it for you and all the current FCS apps look like they are running fine under build 10A411 of Snow Leopard. I use FCP a lot and am a registered Apple developer. When I heard there might be a problem I was equally as concerned but it seems all is OK.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard (July 24, 2009 06:38AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hey, thanks for the post.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login