Log and Transfer problem in FCP

Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 15, 2009 12:51PM) yetifan
Hi, my name is Scott and I'm running FCP 6.0.6 on a dual-processor IMac which is running OS 10.5.7.

I've been logging footage off one of the new Canon Vixia HF20's which has a built-in 32GB flash card. For the most part, no problem.

However, today (as well as a few times prior), after I've set my in and out points on a particular clip and dragged it over to the
appropriate bin in the Browser, the process hits a hiccup. The progress bar in the Log and Transfer window shows it transferring over, but when it finishes, there's no clip in the bin. Usually, when I try it again, it works. However, I notice that usually a short time after this starts to happen (the occasional first try that doesn't transfer) I get a crash of the system. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 15, 2009 03:13PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Scott,

That's not how Log and Transfer works. You don't drag clips over to a bin.

First, in FCP, 'Set Logging Bin'. (be sure that your Capture Scrach disk is set)

Open Log and Transfer, after you set your In and Out points, click on the 'Add Clip to Cue' button just beneath the Viewer window.

The clips will be transferred into your Logging Bin and stored in the Capture Scratch.

--ken
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 15, 2009 04:30PM) yetifan
Ken, thanks...however...when I re-booted FCP the "set logging bin" option was grayed out. I hit the "Add Clip to queue" button anyway and it worked the first time (I just moved the clip into the correct bin from the Browser once it was in there). However, the second attempt...same ol' problem. Any reason the "set logging bin" option would have been grayed out?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 15, 2009 05:00PM) Ken Stone Admin
Add a new Bin and then try to set it as the Logging Bin.

--ken
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 16, 2009 07:23AM) yetifan
Ken, finally got the Logging Bin set, however, the problem still persists. Could it have something to do with it being HD footage?
My IMac has a 2GHz Intel Core Duo and has 2 GB's of memory. Would more memory help?

Another thing I noticed is that when I don't get the transfer, everytime I reboot, an additional clip in the bin in question is no longer connected. And then when I search for it...can't find it! I'm getting pretty desperate here...I really need to offload this footage in the next few days (going out to shoot more). If anyone could direct me somewhere else where a solution might be found, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 16, 2009 08:31AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 16, 2009 12:20PM) yetifan
Ken, thanks again. I've followed your Pref Trashing steps and now I just opened FCP and it's asking me what format (?) to choose. I'm trying to offload footage from a Canon Vixia HF20 which has the AVCHD format. Is there one of the many choices I should choose from the list?

Thanks,
Scott
Re: Log and Transfer problem in FCP (July 16, 2009 12:24PM) Ken Stone Admin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login