Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X

Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 06:45AM) dkdempsey
Guys:

Have not installed SL yet, but wondering if you (Christoph et al ) have noticed any QT issues.

In looking at new Quicktime Player at the Apple store, I noted that it DID NOT seem to have the QT Pro features, movable in-out markers etc.

So I asked the FCP "Experts" at the store about the QT X upgrade. They say that, if you are running FCP and therefore have QT 7 Pro installed by default, it will REMAIN and exist in parallel with the new Player.

However, one of the Experts stated that the new QT X was rushed out the door, that it is expected to have more of the Pro features visible in a later update. The other guy argued with him, saying "No the new QT Player is a consumer app, like iMovie.:

They decided to give me this advice: Upon install of SL, go to the Options window and choose to install QT 7 along with the default QT X Player.

I HAVE used QT Pro player in the past to trim .mov files and do other tricks with Single Field, etc...so I find it useful.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed anything, and if any of this is relevant.

Doug D
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 09:45AM) Craig Seeman
QT X is very limited. If you have QT7Pro already it will install although its moved to the Utilities folder.
QTX only trims beginning and ending of shots. It only has a few export presets that can't be edited.
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 09:52AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Craig,

I have not installed SL yet. Are you saying that we will now have two versions of QT, Pro and X?

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 11:22AM) Craig Seeman
Yes unfortunately. BTW the more I look at QT X the more I dislike it.
There's no Window/Show Movie Properties . . . and thus no way to do things like fix aspect ratio and delete hinted tracks or whatever.
There's no View/Play All Movies which some of us use to play two movies simultaneously to compare.
There's no go to start or go to end buttons.
It doesn't reveal time code or frame count.
There's no Quicktime Preferences.
No A/V Controls.
It doesn't even have Content Guide although I suspect it was little used with iTunes being around.
It can do screen recordings which is nice.
It can't use export components like Flip4Mac to create WMVs or any other 3rd party export component.
It still uses Flip4Mac and Perian player plugins though.
It's an ultra dumbed down player with a few uneditible export presets.

Yes, you'll want QTPro especially if you don't have Compressor and depend on QT for exports.
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 11:34AM) Ken Stone Admin
I have Compressor but I still want and need QT Pro. When you installed SL, did you tell it to install QT X?

Does QT Pro now wind up in the utilities folder?

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 11:41AM) Craig Seeman
Yup, QTPro is in the Utilities folder. I immediately added it to my Dock next to QT "Yuck"
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 11:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
"QuickTime Yuck".

I like that.

(g)

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 01:58PM) Christoph Vonrhein
I did not look at QT X (Y) so far. You're all right: It's an iMovie like toy and obviously not meant to be used professionally. QT X is stripped from all off the features we like. Not even the option to switch to "High Quality" is there. DV movies look terrible with QT X. Oh well, at least it does not crash (or did not crash yet).
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 02:03PM) Ken Stone Admin
At least we still have QT Pro.

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 03:58PM) dkdempsey
I hope they keep selling QT Pro for $30 because if they stop upgrading and leave us with only QT Yuck, we are stuck using MpegStreamclip and other such 3rd party apps.

I use QT Pro all the time to open multiple files for comparison.
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (August 29, 2009 04:32PM) Craig Seeman
They're still selling QTPro 7. Of course if you have FCP you have QTPro.
Re: Snow Leopard, QT 7 Pro & QT X (September 02, 2009 10:34AM) Joe Redifer
I am so glad we still have Quicktime 7 available. I did not get the option to install Quicktime 7 when upgrading my 10.4.11 drive, but it was still there when I rebooted. I just had to put it back in the Dock like others have stated. Now I must re-associate all of my MOV and other files to open with QT 7 instead of QT Yuck, since that seems to be the new default player. I also do not like how the controls are OVERLAID on top of the video in QT Yuck. It is a very large overlay as well. I am surprised that Apple even gave us the option to keep QT 7, but am very glad that they did.

Whatever happened to Quicktime 8 and Quicktime 9?
T Player (September 02, 2009 10:38AM) Ken Stone Admin
Easy to do. Select one of the QT X files and 'command i' from the keyboard. In 'Open With' select QT Payer (QT7) and then, just below, Change all.

Done.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login