Export for Surround Sound

Export for Surround Sound (September 26, 2009 02:47PM) rlinsurf
I have 6 tracks which are my 5.1 surround tracks. But I have no idea how to get them out to Compressor. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 26, 2009 11:41PM) ronny courtens
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 27, 2009 09:06AM) rlinsurf
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 27, 2009 10:10AM) ronny courtens
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 27, 2009 12:14PM) rlinsurf
Again, thank you for the expert advice.

Ok, does this have to be done along with the video? Or can I do separate video and audio Compressor jobs? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks again.
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 27, 2009 07:54PM) ronny courtens
Yes, of course you can send the video separately from the audio.

I assume you have used Log&Transfer to import your AVCHD files into FCP and you have chosen ProRes as the editing format. This is by far the best solution for working with heavily compressed AVCHD footage.

Once your footage is in the ProRes timeline, do your editing and export a self-contained QT movie of your finished edit.

To make an SD DVD with 5.1 surround sound, drop the exported movie in Compressor and choose the appropriate DVD preset to make your DVD (m2v) file. Finally bring the m2v file in DVDSP, together with the 5.1 surround file you created in Compressor, and author your DVD.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 28, 2009 10:06AM) rlinsurf
Hi, Ronny--

Well, the export is working great. Unfortunately, I can no longer hear anything when I'm playing the timeline.

I have a Motu 828MKIII as my output. Under Audi/Video Settings-->A/V Devices, it is set as the Playback Device, but I'm still hearing nothing.

What have done wrong?
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 27, 2009 02:29PM) rlinsurf
Hi, Ronny--

Ok, this is how far I've gotten. First I downloaded your settings file -- Thank you :) (BTW, it was downloaded as a .xml file. Once I eliminated the .xml in the file name, it worked great).

I then saved out the resulting .ac3 as audio only, using the settings file.

But now I'm running into the rest of the problem, which is with this Sony Handycam, and issues which it seems many people are having with these cameras and FCP. Sony states that the camera is 1080p, and indeed, when I hooked the camera up to my 1080p set to watch the footage it looked amazing, really.

Anyway, I am now trying to find a way to use the footage straight from the camera, and use the .ac3 I just created as the audio. But I'm very confused at the moment as to how to do this.

So that's why I was hoping there's a way to have Compressor use separate files for the audio and video for this.
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 29, 2009 06:05AM) ronny courtens
Sorry for the late reply, I was away all day.

If you have changed the Audio Outputs in Sequence Settings to be able to export individual mono tracks, you should reset your Audio Outputs to their default 5.1 settings for playback on your Motu.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 29, 2009 09:53AM) rlinsurf
Hi, Ronny--

np. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help.

So it doesn't look at the moment that I'm having any success with FCP doing the video portion. Meg over at the Apple forums, tells me she has a similar camera, but isn't having my issues, but for whatever reason, I can't get it to work. So I just re-edited the whole thing (video) in Vegas.

So now to output, what file format's coming from a PC will Compressor accept when using the Add Video option in the surround sound dialog? Right now, I had the Vegas folks suggest MPEG2 for output to Blu-Ray, namely, HDV1080/60i at 25MBPS .m2v. Will this actually work? I notice that often, PC's wont recognize Mac files of the same ext., and vice versa. Can that just be corrected by changing the creator/filetype?

BTW -- why is this so *hard*??? <GRIN>
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 29, 2009 10:01AM) ronny courtens
I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with files coming from Vegas. I have tested this application a few times and I didn't like it, so I have paid no further attention to it. If it is your intention to make a Blu-Ray DVD you may find some third party software that works with Vegas. It is never a good idea to mix applications that work on different plaforms.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Export for Surround Sound (September 29, 2009 11:23AM) rlinsurf
np. Again, my thanks for all your help.

Best,
Jeffrey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login