Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP

DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 24, 2010 01:12PM) sgribber
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 24, 2010 04:59PM) Joe Redifer
Why are you using Log and Transfer? Just copy 'em from the memory card. Then, create a Compressor droplet to convert them to ProRes using the same framerate settings.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 24, 2010 06:12PM) ronny courtens
As David said, if you don't need to get out of the 24p format you can do use Compressor to convert to ProRes 24p.

Also, do your slow motion in Motion and use the Optical Flow feature. It certainly makes a BIG difference (and yes, it is much "slower").

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 04:59AM) sgribber
Is there a tutorial that you guys know of to walk me through creating a Compressor droplet to convert my files back to 24P ProRes ? Would cinema tools be easier for this ?

Log & Transfer in FCP immediately changes or converts the files to 29.9. So I guess I should avoid this but I'm not sure how to go from mounting the camera to working with the files in compressor.

When I mount my DSLR, there is a Private directory that contains .MTS files. I'm assuming these are the movie files. Instead of log & transfer in FCP, are you recommending dragging these files into compressor ?
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 05:08AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 05:25AM) sgribber
Many Thanks Ken!

If I manage to get my 1080 24P footage into the timeline, can I play with the speed settings in FCP ? I am used to working with Z1U 1080 29.9 footage and being able to slow it down and keep it smooth. Is 24P work this way ?

thanks
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 06:21AM) Ken Stone Admin
I would set the sequence setting to 29.97 and then, using Compressor, slow down just that footage that you want to apply a speed change to.

The quality of your speed change output will depend on the amount of motion in the shot.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 07:08AM) sgribber
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 07:17AM) Ken Stone Admin
Where?

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 07:27AM) sgribber
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 07:32AM) sgribber
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 08:15AM) Ken Stone Admin
All I see is

"This Asset is Private"

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 08:31AM) sgribber
Sorry about that. It was hidden by 'default' . If you wouldn't mind one more attempt, you should be able to view it.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 08:45AM) Ken Stone Admin
To my eye, the original (source) vdieo looks jerky too.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 06:02AM) Joe Redifer
You should be able to. I am not impressed with Optical Flow in Motion at all. It is artifact city. Unless you have a clip with very little movement where nothing gets in the way of objects behind it, Optical Flow gets it wrong and it looks very messed up. I just tried an HD clip going down an escalator at a mall, and a plant moves by in the foregound and using Optical Flow the clip is unusable. User beware!

Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 06:15AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Joe,

This is very strange because I have had good results using Frame Controls/Optical Flow.

Reducing the frame is always a bit problematic.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 26, 2010 09:20AM) sgribber
My DSLR when connected to my mac, displays the video files as .MTS. I was going through Ken's tutorial on creating a compressor droplet but realized I could not drag .MTS files into compressor. In the tutorial, Ken drags .mov files from his Canon 5D. Do I need to convert my .mts files first prior to using compressor ?

thanks.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 26, 2010 09:24AM) Ken Stone Admin
I convert my 5D Mark II (and 7D) video in Compressor before bring it into FCP.

I have created Droplets to do this work.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 26, 2010 09:29AM) sgribber
Ken,
are you original files .mts files ? As far as I know, Compressor won't accept the .MTS files from my camera.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 26, 2010 09:40AM) Ken Stone Admin
I don't have any raw 5D clips here to check, but in the the 5D folder there are two types of files and I believe that you want the MTS files.

So try MTS first, one or the other does work in Compressor, I have done this many many times.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 07:09AM) sgribber
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 10:47AM) sgribber
Will do guys. I will try using droplet to convert them to ProRes and run some tests. Thanks for all the input.

Ken, you're right in saying that the original is choppy as well. I'm not too happy with the DSLR and the way it handles movement so far. I'm love with the Depth of Field though.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 10:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
SDLRs suffer from 'Jello-cam'. This is mostly because of the CMOS chips used.

But even with film, pan too fast and you lose the shot. Pans must be done slowly, very slowly.

--ken
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 09:12AM) Joe Redifer
Ken- I think it really depends on what is going on in the image.

sgribber - That whole 29.97 thing you have going on is probably not helping. Can you just mount the memory card and drag the files the camera shot to a folder on the desktop (or wherever) and then use the droplet to convert them to ProRes like Ken pointed out? Don't change the frame rate. Don't try to convert 29.97 back to 23.98. Just leave it at 23.98 to begin with.
Re: DSLR HD footage looks choppy when slowed down in FCP (March 25, 2010 09:34AM) Ken Stone Admin
I agree.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login