Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture

Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 07:55AM) peteguam
Very nice looking board and format.

I'm finally going to convert to HDV after years of SD on fcp. After doing quite a bit of research I've decided to go with the Canon xh-a1. After checking on compatibility with fcp there seems to be some questions on capturing with batch capture as I'm used to with SD.

Is anyone doing a firewire batch capture this with this camera? If so, what settings? Iv'e got fcp 6.0.3, Macpro, etc., and everything is up to date. I'd appreciate any help you can give on this before I spend the bucks on the camera.
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:04AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:08AM) RW
I still using FCP 5 and have a canon xh-a1 (great camera btw, good choice!), i've used batch capture before though don't tend to use it that much, have just used recommended settings and it has worked fine.
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
The ProRes feature (for HDV) is in FCP 6.0.2 and up. I believe that you would have the Apple Intermedia Codec available for capture.

--ken
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:22AM) RW
sry that's what i meant- default settings
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:28AM) Ken Stone Admin
Go into Easy setups and see what is there. When you find what you want and select it, then open a new FCP project.

--ken
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:40AM) peteguam
So...After reading Kens articles and others it looks like I've got to change a few of my now antiquated methods of log and capture. I'm used to usually gathering far too much footage and pick and choose as I review the tape in the log and capture window, then log each individually, and batch capture them at one time.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, and at 67 this just might not be the cas as my brain tends to go slower, using Prores I now log a beginning and then the footage is brought in as individual clips based on the start/stop of the camera when I shot it. Yes??

As a side note: Ken, I've read a ton of your articles and they are informative, to the point, and have helped me immensely. Thank you.
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 08:48AM) Ken Stone Admin
As I have not worked with this camera, I'm not sure. I believe that in FCP 6, you can still L & C, but I could be wrong.

I know that there is an option to turn off Start/Stop in the Log window.

Anyone???????

--ken
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 09:08AM) Andrew Balis
There is an option when using an HDV easy setup, but not when coming in via ProRes. No matter what the HDV Log and Capture window settings are set to, as soon as you switch to ProRes capture settings, it will always break up the clips based on start/stop.

Andrew Balis
Lead Instructor - Final Cut Pro
Moviola.com
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 12, 2008 09:09AM) Ken Stone Admin
Thanks Andrew.

--ken
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 14, 2008 07:54AM) wjdoyle
On that note, I have edited in HDV but would now like to use ProRes. I like to L&C rather than essentially a batch capture, so I'm thinking of capturing in HDV and then converting to ProRes prior to editing, as opposed to a ProRes capture. Is there a disadvantage to this other than the extra time to convert?

If not, do I have to drop the footage onto a ProRes timeline and render for each added clip or can it be done from the browser?

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
Re: Canon xh-a1 and FCP Batch Capture (June 16, 2008 04:14AM) Andrew Balis
This can all be done from the Browser. Highlight all clips and choose Batch Export from the File menu. For more info on how to use Batch Export, check out the user manual.

Good luck,

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login