Re: Worth installing Leopard?

Worth installing Leopard? (June 13, 2008 03:32AM) filmographer
I am using FCS 2 with the most recent version of Tiger.... I have the bug to upgrade, even bought Leopard but am wondering if there was any real advantage to upgrading to Leopard? I know the process of upgrading is arduous (fresh install) and I just am not familiar enough with the advantages to make an intelligent decision... what do you think? Anyone.
Re: Worth installing Leopard? (June 13, 2008 08:10AM) Ken Stone Admin
I upgraded my NLE MacPro to Leopard. I used Archive and Install. All went well except for Compressor, some of the invisible files did not come across, I guess.

I had to uninstall Compressor and reinstall. Then I lost my Motion Presets. Fortunately I have a CCC of my boot drive before the update so I was able to drag the Motion app across from the CCC into my new system. Got the Motion Presets back.

I have two other Macs. A G5 and a MBP. I decided not to update either of these Macs. The G5 will soon be replaced and the new Mac will come with Leopard. I'm leaving the MBP where it is at Tiger, which has been a killer OS for me.

If you do decided to upgrade, be sure to CCC or SuperDuper your boot drive first.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: Worth installing Leopard? (June 15, 2008 09:27PM) peter rooney
1st off, many thanks ken for the new board, very tidy and I'm also grateful for the heads up on leopard. I agree with your views on Tiger, it's been the most stable OS ever for me. Just had a drive go flaky on me and it took nearly a week to get back to work, endless trouble, cloning, re-installing OS etc, permissions issues etc and pain, pain, pain, getting FCP, DVDSP and Compressor to behave. For this reason I'm was considering leopard just for Time machine. I have it on my Macmini which I use as a home hub for TV, Music, Internet, some additional 'homework'. It installed without issue and time machine is very impressive but after reading your post I think I'll postpone installing leopard on my editing station.
Thanks again for the great board.
Peter
Re: Worth installing Leopard? (June 16, 2008 05:35AM) Mikey
Re: Worth installing Leopard? (June 17, 2008 03:56AM) Paul
I actually really like quicklook - not having to load quicktime to see my clips and be able to cycle through them by arrow keys - genius!
Re: Worth installing Leopard? (June 17, 2008 09:41AM) Ken Stone Admin
QuickLook is about the only thing I like about Leopard.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login