Re: Output a bit 'Bit-mappy'

Output a bit 'Bit-mappy' (March 21, 2014 04:39PM) pnutsnz
Howdy. Thanks to Ken for helping me previously. I got around the issue by bringing in the footage, selecting SD-DVD then choosing 16:9 Pan Am for the display of the video and menus - that seemed to work
I managed to get the DVD burnt, all good there. When I go to check it on my good player, everything seems a bit low-res. esp graphics and titles - they are not anti-aliased. There is the odd 'artifact' induced into the video as well.

Is this down to wrong settings in the encode?. Original footage was shot in 1920x1080 25i, using a Panasonic HDC Z10000 camera.

I tried 2 attempts for the export……

(1) I chose 'share' from the menu, exported straight out as Quicktime, 1920x1080. That gave me a QT file on HD. I then pulled that into DVD-SP, authored the DVD, then chose 'BUILD & FORMAT' to burn the dvd. Disc done.

(2) I chose send to Compressor, within compressor I went into 'DISC BURNING' Folder, then selected 'MPEG-2 for DVD'. It done its thing, then I imported the elementary streams into DVD-SP, rest is history.

In both cases I get a very un-professional result. At the end of the dvd I had scrolling credits (created in PS), and they roll very 'Bubbly' and low res. Would this be something to do with "Square Pixel" setting?.

Thanks everyone!,

Pete
Re: Output a bit 'Bit-mappy' (March 22, 2014 10:24AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Pete,

What is the total duration of your video? What bit rate settings did you choose for your MPEG2 encode in Compressor? Did you choose AC3 audio in Compressor?

--ken
Re: Output a bit 'Bit-mappy' (March 22, 2014 01:01PM) pnutsnz
Re: Output a bit 'Bit-mappy' (March 22, 2014 01:24PM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Output a bit 'Bit-mappy' (March 22, 2014 10:53PM) pnutsnz
Hey Ken,

Yes, the video is not that long, so could get away with a higher bit rate.

I did try a sample export with just the credit roll - which I have found seems to show up any impurities in the video 'smoothness'. This was ussing compressor with the higher bit rate and Digital Dolby Stereo selected.
When I exported that section (30secs) it seem to go perfectly. When I opened up the m2v stream in QT player, it was 25% less (physical display size) on the screen as compared to when I opened up the 'crook' video using QT.
Not sure if that means something, but would point to the fact perhaps the previous video was being 'stretched' beyond its resolution when finally multiplexed to a DVD. That would explain the jaggies etc.

Anyway, I shall attempt a full export tomorrow and see how that goes.

In the meantime thanks so much.

Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login