Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor

FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (March 31, 2014 05:41AM) yer
I need to see my project in the external HDTV I have. I am trying to think how I'm gonna do this.... can someone please give me some ideas. Do I need another devices to have this works?

Please, Thanks
Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (March 31, 2014 02:47PM) Ken Stone Admin
Yes, you'll need an external device to monitor video out of FCP to a TV.

Both Matrox and Blackmagic make such units.

What Mac, version of Mac OS, version of FCP are you running? Do you have Thunderbolt?

--ken
Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (April 01, 2014 08:45AM) yer
So the Blackmagic is the best option, not truly cost much as the Matrox. I do have iMac Intel, 2 years old. latest OS Mavericks.
I do have Thunderbolt in my iMac. Thanks, I will buy the BM Intensity Shuttle for Thunderboltâ„¢ - $239.
Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (April 03, 2014 03:32AM) johnmcd
Joe, you're certainly entitled to your opinion (and preference), however, I think you're mistaken about how Airplay works. YOU tell it which monitor to mirror, or not to mirror, or to extend your desktop.

Let me explain: I have an iMac and an external Thunderbolt monitor. With the Apple TV (using Airplay) I have an icon near my clock, and I can pull down on that icon and choose, "Mirror All Displays", which makes all three displays identical to the iMac. Or I can choose, "Mirror iMac", which does simply that, my main iMac monitor is mirrored on the TV. Or, "Mirror Thunderbolt Monitor", doing the same, mirroring the second monitor, or finally, "Extend desktop", which simply makes the iMac's desktop larger, and spans across all three monitors (and is what you were speaking about with the mouse still traveling over there when it's off.)

When not in use, you simply turn it off and the Apple TV returns to its own operating system.

Looking back at yer's earlier comment, a decision seems to have been made there, which is only $239. That's not much of a price difference over the Apple TV. Also, I certainly don't mean to harp on how great Apple TV is - I'm just saying I'm happy with it.
Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (April 03, 2014 06:32AM) Joe Redifer
That still seems like more work than doing what I do. I wasn't even talking about airplay as I have no reason to have one since I own a PS3 which can stream far, FAR more stuff from my computer than an Apple TV unit. I was talking about the new Mac Pro's HDMI jack which basically just adds another monitor to the desktop. I'm not a big fan of Blackmagic Design the company as their engineering and support could be a lot better, but I don't have to go into any options or preferences to turn the Intensity on or off. It's always there ready for me. My Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt was less than $200 brand new.

Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (April 01, 2014 04:22AM) johnmcd
Your last question is the most relevant to me.

I use a two monitor setup and an Apple TV and it works PERFECTLY. I have a new iMac, with a Thunderbolt monitor right next to it. Across the room is an LED TV (32 inch LG) and an Apple TV. Using Airplay, I can mirror either monitor with ease, or simply extend my desktop and put a Quicktime movie up there. Easy!
Re: FCPX Project Viewer External Monitor (April 01, 2014 07:20AM) Joe Redifer
I prefer having a device hooked to the viewing monitor instead of extending my desktop. Otherwise when it's off my mouse still travels to the second screen and files may end up over there as well. I have a new Mac Pro and I explicitly avoid using the HDMI port specifically for this reason and instead use a BlackmagicDesign Shuttle Thunderbolt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login