New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering?

New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering? (April 04, 2014 06:52PM) Joe Redifer
Apparently my new Mac Pro is much weaker than my old 2006 Mac Pro. Obviously this defies all logic so I must have something set wrong somewhere.

Anyway I still work in Final Cut Pro 7 sometimes and when I apply a 31-band EQ on the audio track it wants to render it (red bar, won't play without beeping). It did not need to do this on the old Mac Pro at all. It takes it a nanosecond to render the track so I'm wondering why it can't play it back in real time which is much, much slower than rendering it.

I have my audio set on Low quality (faster) with 8 real time tracks. Changing the quality or number of real time tracks does not matter. The RT settings do not matter. I can't see anything that will change my needing to render the audio to hear the changes. Funny enough I can play a lot of video back in FCP7 in real time now that needed rendering before so go figure. Maybe I should have sprung for that extra SoundBlaster 16 card.

Re: New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering? (April 04, 2014 08:57PM) ronny courtens
This has nothing to do with your new MacPro. FCP has always needed hardware acceleration to play back audio with some effects in RT, and apparently it's unable to address OpenCL to do this on the new MP. We have seen the same problems with Adobe apps not performing well on the new MacPro. Since they optimized their software to take advantage of OpenCL these problems are gone. But I don't think Apple will change FCP7 anymore (-:

I don't know if a different audio card will help, but it's certainly a good idea.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering? (April 05, 2014 07:02AM) Joe Redifer
Actually I'm betting it's more Mav'ricks and less Mac Pro.
Re: New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering? (April 05, 2014 09:18AM) ronny courtens
An update for Mavs is on its way, you will see if this improves things. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: New Mac Pro not powerful enough to play some audio without rendering? (April 05, 2014 09:31AM) Joe Redifer
Yeah probably not with FCP7. I hope it improves things with FCPX (and I imagine an update for that will likely come around the same time).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login