Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder

Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 09, 2014 04:34AM) David Oren
Hi everybody,

I have a long program (almost 2 hours) that I want to export (copy) via FireWire from FCP 7 to my Sony DVD desktop recorder.

In previous instances, with much shorter programs, I used to to copy the program via FireWire onto a Mini-DV cassette, then take my DV device (camera or desktop player), connect its FireWire cable to the DVD recorder's FireWire input, and make a copy with no problems.

This is the first time I'm trying to do so directly from the computer's FireWire output due to the length of the program, but my DVD desktop recorder (a Sony) refuses to recognize the DV input.

Does anybody know about a general inability to connect a FireWire cable directly between a computer and a DVD recorder?

The cable is OK because I can transfer the signal through it between my computer and my camera or my JVC desktop DV unit, and then from it into my DVD recorder.
Why then can't I do so directly from my computer into the DVD recorder?

I need to give the client the entire program on a DVD and don't want to break it into two segments.
I also don't need to author it so I want to skip the DVD STUDIO PRO hassle.

Is this inability axiomatic? Or is there a solution for such a thing other than the DVD STUDIO route?

Thank you for your answer,

David.
Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 09, 2014 05:50AM) David Harbsmeier
Manufacturers have built-in protection to keep people from digitally copying copyright material. Part of that is that stand-alone DVD recorders will not accept a Firewire video stream from a computer. As I recall, there were two models that made it onto the market that would allow you to do that, but they were both quickly replaced - one was a Panasonic and the other a Pioneer.

As you already know, DVD recorders generally do recognize tape based Firewire devices such as camcorders and most VTRs.

-DH
Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 09, 2014 11:24AM) David Oren
Thanks David,

You really calmed me down.
I already feared that probably something is wrong with my system....

I guess I'll have to go with DVD Studio Pro.

David.
Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 10, 2014 02:27AM) Gypaetus
Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 10, 2014 07:38AM) Russ Haskell
Also, if you don't need the fancy menus, could you use the Share function in FCP – or encode and create the disk in Compressor (if you wanted to fine tune the bit rate)?

Russ
Re: Exporting Movie from FCP 7 to DVD Desktop recorder (April 11, 2014 03:13AM) David Oren
Good ideas guy, thanks.

Will try your inputs, starting with the compressor encoding.

great and thanks,

David.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login