Re: Cameras with simple file structures

Cameras with simple file structures (April 15, 2014 12:03PM) MitchellRose
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 17, 2014 05:03AM) Videot
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 18, 2014 10:17AM) Tom George
Mike,

I use FCP 6.0.5 and OS 10.4.11 Tiger. I found this statement on a customer review for this camera at B&H:

"Though it claims utmost compatibility with apple quicktime, it requires at least Macintosh OS 10.8.3 Mountain Lion to have the necessary codecs..."

I produce SD DVDs. Will I have trouble with the video files this camera produces with my system?

Thanks,

Tom
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 01:20AM) XGTV
Mitchell, the JVC GY-HM150 ticks all of your boxes except low light where it's performance is lacking, otherwise a fantastic camera which uses CCDs rather than Cmos chips, so no rolling shutter problems.

Tom, the HM150 is the most FCP friendly camera out there. The HM150 records XDcam EX 35mbps in either quicktime or MP4 at a multitude of frame rates. For Apple editors Quicktime is the favored format, just drag your files off the card and start editing, no conversion needed. It can be edited in FCP6 on a PPC Mac but I only tried that under Leopard

The only restriction you will find with your system is that the HM150 can use the newer SDXC cards which have a much greater capacity. You need an intel Mac to read these cards but failing that you can use the standard SD cards with a maximum capacity of 32gig. The camera takes two cards, records to card A then when that is full switches seamlessly to card B, at which point you can remove card A and insert card C. When card B is full it switches to card C - and so on, brilliant. I use 2 x 64gig cards which allow for just over 6hrs recording 1920x1080i but I usually shoot 720p which seems to be it's sweet spot and scales great to a 1920 screen.

Hard to beat for the price

Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 01:38AM) MitchellRose
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 05:21AM) XGTV
I can't see why it wouldn't be ok on Tiger, you have Pro Res on FCP6 and I always put everything into a Pro Res timeline. Maybe you could get hold of some sample footage to try before committing to buying the camera.

Onwards and upwards :o)
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 05:32AM) MitchellRose
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 05:43AM) XGTV
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (April 19, 2014 03:23AM) Tom George
Good info. Is there any way to tell if this camera will work with Tiger before I buy the camera? I'm still using tape but I'm considering jumping to SD card based cameras but would not want to have to send it back to B&H if it is not compatible with
Tiger. I appreciate your expertise and time in answering our concerns.

Thanks,

Tom
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (May 24, 2014 07:42AM) steve douglas
Wish San Diego had a decent camera store where you can actually try things out.
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (May 24, 2014 07:49AM) Ken Stone Admin
Steve,

I'm really surprised that a city the size of San Diego doesn't have a really good camera (video) store.

--ken
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (May 25, 2014 04:21AM) Tom George
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (May 25, 2014 04:37AM) steve douglas
Thanks Tom, it is a cam I might be interested in. The link is to a studio where they are using them. It appears they are not a retail shop but maybe I can get up there to see the cam in the flesh.
Steve
Re: Cameras with simple file structures (May 25, 2014 04:50AM) Tom George
Steve,

I'm considering buying that camera too but I can't find anyone in Utah that has one. It seems to be about the same
size as my Sony VX-1000 and not too heavy. If you get to handle it let me know what you think about it.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login