Re: Little problem with stretching

Little problem with stretching (April 19, 2014 02:04PM) pnutsnz
Hi Ken and everyone,

Still getting my head around the best initial settings to choose for each division of authoring.

Ken helped me out greatly last time, and I had chosen those settings again in compressor as the video are very lose in length (40mins for the first video and now 55mins for this video).

I have just finished another video but it is obviously 'stretched' when finally authored to DVD and played. The obvious signs for this are titles appearing 'jaggy' and test selections going past the left and right boundaries on the screen.
All the text in the video are within the 'Text safe' area, but still on the dvd they are 'pushed' way out left and right.
Obviously it is my selections, so just need to get my initial choices right from the start :).

Just to re-cap I am authoring in Full HD (1920x1080) and am doing the final dvd in Single layer standard DVD. So am going down to SD-Anamorphic. As you can see in the compressor settings I have chosen the PAL-SD settings of 720x576, but should I have chosen to export as is, and then just choose SD-Anamorphic in DVD-SP?.

Below is the compressor settings I last used…..

Estimated size: 3.06 GB/hour of source
Type: MPEG-2 video elementary stream
Usage:SD DVD
Video Encoder
Width: 720
Height: 576
Pixel aspect ratio: PAL CCIR 601 (16:9)
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 25
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Field dominance: Progressive
Average bit rate: 6.8 (Mbps)
2 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 8 (Mbps)
High quality
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 12, Structure: IBBP

Thanks!.

Pete
Re: Little problem with stretching (April 21, 2014 11:10AM) Alexander
The old trap! All DVDs are SD. You have used HD media, SD anamorphic is incorrect, convert to SD first, then author.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Little problem with stretching (April 21, 2014 02:58PM) pnutsnz
Hi there Alexander,

Many thanks for the reply. So do you mean do not select "16.9 Pan Am" in DVD-SP?, just burn as is?. That would make sense.

What I did was this:

From FCPX - send to compressor.
Within compressor I duplicated the DVD SD selection.
Within that I set up the to the standard PAL settings - 720x576 - 25fps - 4:3.
Then when imported into DVD-SP, the video of course appears in 4:3 aspect ration, so I was choosing 'display in 16:9 anamorphic'
Obviously that was the problem, as it does appear stretched on the final display!.

Most appreciative, and thanks for the help. Will try another burn from DVD-SP, but leave settings alone! :).

Cheers.
Pete
Re: Little problem with stretching (April 21, 2014 03:17PM) pnutsnz
Hey Alexander

Excellent I am making progress!. I just burnt the SD video without any changes in DVD-SP, and I have fixed the stretch problem. All titles and graphics appear within the safe zones.

I just have one thing that I noticed….. That is the text appears still a bit jaggy not smooth and high-res. and in some places the graphics (within titles) disappear and re-appear at different intervals.
I believe this might have something to do with choosing 'square pixels' in the rendering?. Not too sure, but things are looking up.

Just had a thought….. Should I have only selected '16;9 display' for the menu only (but leave the video in 4:3?. Or do you always have everything displayed in 4:3, menus and video?

Thanks again!,

Pete
Re: Little problem with stretching (April 22, 2014 10:23AM) Alexander
How did you create your text?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Little problem with stretching (April 22, 2014 07:16PM) pnutsnz
Excellent question, and one that might be the cause of the problem :).
The text in question was created in PS as a raster (from a layer of various stuff), and that was placed into FCPX over the video. So what I have done is create the text with the text tool in FCPX, and am at the moment waiting for the render to finish.

The render takes 12 hours, so have had it going for the last day.

That just might be the answer Alexander, will keep you posted.

Thanks heaps,

Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login