Rotating interlaced footage

Rotating interlaced footage (May 28, 2014 11:57AM) Ribena
I've been asked to deliver 1080i footage of a conference to a client but the footage has the horizon on an angle. What's the best way to fix this? Should I de-interlace the footage in FCPX, rotate and scale it and then re-interlace it and submit that corrected version or is this the wrong way to go about fixing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Re: Rotating interlaced footage (May 31, 2014 09:38AM) ronny courtens
Hi Ribena,

FCP X is resolution-independent, you don't need to deinterlace at all before doing any scaling or rotation. Just use the Transform tools on the interlaced clips in the timeline and export as interlaced. To see the true quality of your scaling when working in an interlaced project you should set Playback to "Better Quality" and make sure "Show both fields" is checked in the Viewer options.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Rotating interlaced footage (June 12, 2014 12:13PM) Ribena
Thanks Ronny. I can't find where to check that my exported footage will be interlaced but I'm guessing that if I export the 1080i project as a Master File then the exported file will also be correctly interlaced (despite the rotation). In other words: FCP more-or-less does the de-interlacing in the project timeline, I rotate the image, and then FCP re-interlaces the footage when I export it so that i end up with horizontal interlacing in my exported file. Is that correct? Right now, I can see the interlace lines in my exported file but I can't be sure that they are perfectly horizontal. Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login