Re: cuts or dissolves?

cuts or dissolves? (June 02, 2014 06:14AM) David
I probably should have settled this in my own mind after 10 years of doing stage (musical) performances, but I still don't know of any rule that dictates which to use when going from one camera angle to another. I know that when cuts are done with poor timing, it very distracting, and dissolves just seem natural... most of the time. When I do a wedding I never use cuts. So what's everybody else's opinion?

DD
Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 02, 2014 08:52AM) Joe Redifer
In a story-based timeline, dissolves and other transitional effects are usually used to express the passage of time or the movement to a different scene. Cuts for everything else.
Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 02, 2014 10:08AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 02, 2014 11:00AM) David
Thank you all! I have no formal training, I just watch for transitions in other people's work, and TV, docs, etc. I must be doing it right, as I agree with all the above! Thanks again!

P.S. I don't know anything about art, I just know what I like.

DD
Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 05, 2014 10:59AM) billygolfus
When you are talking content you are talking art. There are no hard fast rules. It is not like mathematics. Dissolves and fades usually mean a passage of time. Your story; your rules. You establish the rules for your content and hopefully it makes sense. You are making up the rules and defining your language as you go along. Hopefully it is unique to your content and to, dare I say it, you.It has to do with what feels right. The left hemisphere of your brain processes information digitally: on-off, right-wrong, yes-no. Like a computer or check book. Are, human relationships come from the right hemisphere and process information analogically. Waves rather than on an off. Relationships. Not right and wrong. The two hemispheres of the brain do not speak the same language and often do not understand each other. Rules when to make a cut? Cut when the audience needs new information. AND cuts control the pacing of your pace. Rules??? Hmmm?
Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 02, 2014 10:17AM) David Harbsmeier
It all depends on the pacing of the video and the purpose of the transition. As Joe stated, dissolves are usually used to indicate passage of time, but for slow-paced video programs such as weddings, dissolves work nicely when changing from one camera angle to another. Really slow dissolves work great during slow songs, prayers, etc.

But if the video is faster paced, cuts would be the way to go. You very rarely see dissolves on anything fast paced or between camera angles at business meeting or events, etc.

-DH

Re: cuts or dissolves? (June 11, 2014 08:22AM) steve douglas
Everybody remember the old Cutting to the Beat tutorials that were out there in Versions 1 & 2? They often still apply when using cuts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login