Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1

4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 07, 2014 08:31AM) Kent
Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a GH4. I have searched the web, with no luck, for a tutorial on a 4K workflow and editing techniques using FCPX. I want to take advantage of cropping and the higher quality output that 4K affords for a 1080 output.

Basically my question is how can I fully utilize 4K in FCPX?

Thanks

Kent
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 07, 2014 08:52AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

Create a new Project, and set Video Properties to 'Set based on first video clip'. Now drop your first 4K (3840 x 2160 clip into the timeline.

You are now editing in 4K. When you are ready to export > Share > Export File > Settings. Set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. Or 'Send to Compressor'.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 09, 2014 12:24AM) Kent
Thanks Ken,
That is to easy.

Kent
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 26, 2014 02:32AM) Kent
Ken;

This GH4 shoots in a variety of resolutions and frame rates, 4K, 1080, 24,30,60,96FPs etc. Of course various circumstances dictate shooting in a wide variety of combinations. With the 4K clips I want to take advantage of pan/zoom, stabilization etc.

I understand that when I place a clip on the timeline that it is automatically transcoded to what ever the parameters are of that timeline. Assuming that final output is 1080p what workflow would assure the highest quality output with clips that have a variety of parameters? What happens when I put a 1080 clip on a 4K timeline?

Enjoy

Kent
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 26, 2014 06:47AM) Ken Stone Admin
Kent,

Correct, when you place a clip into a Primary Story line, FCP X is going to make that clip match the Project settings.

If you place a 1080 clip into a 4K timeline, then FCP X is going to blow the 1080 up to match the 4K frame size of the project. Because of the extreme enlargement (over 200%), your 1080 clip is going to look awful, very very soft.

A number of people shoot 4K and then drop that into a 1920 x 1080 timeline. In this case you can enlarge the video (up to about 200%) without quality loss. But this is the opposite of what you are asking about.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 27, 2014 12:33AM) Kent
Ken;

Is there any reason not to have two projects. One 1080, the other 4K. Make the adjustments as wanted in the 4K project and then copy/paste those rushes into the 1080?

I did a short test and all seems to look good.

Thanks

Kent
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (June 27, 2014 07:57AM) Ken Stone Admin
Kent,

Either way, not going to matter.

Drop a 4k into a 1080 timeline along with 1080 footage, or create two different projects. I would go for just one 1080 project.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 03, 2014 12:47PM) philsfilm
Ken,

I've read that it is easier on the NLE to edit 4K in a 1080 timeline (without quality loss as you mentioned), and therefore faster, than editing in 4K.

Is that true?

Phil
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 06:03AM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

If you put a 4k into a 1080 timeline, you will have to render everything and I don't know if this will actually speed things up. (probably not). The drives are still going to have to deliver 4k to the timeline.

If you are running 4k, 2k or other large files, check out 'Proxy' in FCP X. Works great and switching between Proxy files and full size files is one click easy.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 06:09AM) philsfilm
OK, Ken, so you're editing in Proxy. What happens when you export to make a DVD?

Also, since you raised the issue of speed and drives, is my 6 TB WD drive with Firewire 800 connection going to be able to handle 4K full size for editing or export?

-Phil
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 06:29AM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

When you're done editing in Proxy, you switch to 'source' video (one click) and export as normal.

You need to read up on Proxy in FCP X. Google 'FCP X Proxy'.

I don't believe that your 6 TB FW 800 WD can deliver 4k real time to FCP, going to bog down, especially 4k Compressed RAW. But it will run Proxy perfectly.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 07:46AM) philsfilm
So just to understand you clearly, Ken, I can edit in Proxy but when it comes to exporting, FCP X will be access the 4K files from my 6 TB FW 800 WD drive to create a full quality QT movie file?
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 07:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
Correct. When you are done editing in Proxy, in the Viewer window select 'full quality', FCP X will switch from Proxy to full. You can then export from the full quality as you wish.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 05, 2014 01:38AM) philsfilm
Ken,

That's a good question about whether color correction is possible with Proxy files.

Would the speed problem you mentioned with me editing 4K from a Firewire 800 6 TB drive be alleviated with a Thunderbolt drive? I have two Thunderbolt patches in my iMac. Also, could you recommend a reasonably priced one that's comparable in size to my 6 TB? I realize that in 4K the files are much larger. What drive and how large is the one you use for 4K material?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 05, 2014 05:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

FW hard drives and Thunderbolt hard drives have the same internal mechanics, so there really is no speed gain by using Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt does have much higher through put but the drives are the same and therefor, no speed advantage.

For really read/write speed gains you'll have to look at a RAID. If you don't have a RAID, then I would suggest that you work with Proxy.

Personally, I would do all my editing in Proxy, but when it comes to Color Correcting I would switch back to full quality.

My 2 cents,

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 05, 2014 11:18AM) philsfilm
So Ken, re: color correcting:

If I switch to full quality for CC, 1) will that be a slow process for me due to my drive situation?
2) will those changes be reflected in the Proxy files? (I would think not)
3) Usually, I CC as I edit so would those color corrections be retained if I switch back to Proxy
to continue editing?
4) Or must CC be the last step before exporting?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 05, 2014 12:01PM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

The color corrections that you make will be applied exactly the same to both Proxy and Full quality. You can switch back and forth. The reason for using full quality for CCing work is that you will be working with all of the video information and not the reduced amount of info in Proxy files.

Very often CC is the last step before export.

At this point you need to do a little testing and start working through the process. Create a test Project, import a few clips both full quality and Proxy, drop on the timeline and experiment.

--ken
Re: 4K in FCPX 10.1.1 (July 04, 2014 12:29PM) Kent
Ken,

Great discussion. To summarize as I understand it. On import transcode the 1080 & the 4K into Proxy. Be sure that the switch in the upper right hand corner of the Viewer has Proxy selected. When your edits are complete switch from Proxy to original media and Export Master File.

Can color corrections be made with the Proxy media?

Thanks for the patience

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login