Re: edit in 25f or 50f's

edit in 25f or 50f's (June 13, 2014 08:05PM) pnutsnz
Hi everyone,
Have been getting my head around this HD format.
Just have a question that will seem quite easy (and I think I should know) but I have a camera that captures @ 50p. Now when I bring the footage in to FCPX, I should be maintaining that frame rate (50p) for the initial import / duration of the edit, then drop down to 25 frames (the standard broadcast here in NZ) on the final export / share?
That would seem to make sense. Edit as high as possible then export at the last stage down to a lower format.
I would not bring in straight from the camera @ 25p?.

Thanks for any help.

Pete
Re: edit in 25f or 50f's (June 15, 2014 10:27AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Pete,

I have not worked with 1080 P at 50 fps. If FCP can handle the 50 fps, then yes, you should be able work at 50 and then export out at 25 fps.

You might want to do a short test of the process first.

--ken
Re: edit in 25f or 50f's (June 16, 2014 10:44PM) pnutsnz
Thanks Ken. Yes it seems to work okay. I managed to edit in 50p, then exported in 25p for the final share.

Even though my camera is set to 1920x1080p, my colleague likes to have his set to 720p. So the recent job was all in 720p.
The main problem I have is after the edit, I send to compressor - with the settings set to SD / 4:3, with Digital Dolby sound. Then bring that into DVDSP for a standard Disc. Then inside the DVDSP author I set the menus and tracks to display @ 16:9.

Is that correct?. I seem to be having a small prob with the final size slightly enlarging in the frame after authoring the disc. Not so bad with the video, but the menus all display with 'jaggies' on the text etc. I had this perfect when I did my 1920x1080, just may have to re-set the settings in compressor?......

Thanks Ken,

--Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login