Re: FCPX MULTICAM

FCPX MULTICAM (July 05, 2014 06:27AM) cooldad414
Hi All

Using FCPX 10.1 on an iMac and a Mac Pro
Multicam works fine on the iMac but it will not work on the Mac Pro. Someone suggested graphic card issue but I checked and my ATI Radeon HD 5770 is on the compatibility list.
Any thoughts?
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 06, 2014 12:09AM) ronny courtens
What exactly is not working on the MacPro? Do you see the Angles in the Angle Viewer? Do they play but playback is choppy? Does Multicam not work at all or is there something particular not working?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 06, 2014 12:29AM) cooldad414
hi Ronny

when I place the multicam clip on the project line(time line) and play or scrub through it, the angles in the angle viewer or the multicam clip in the angle viewer do not move or play nor is there the razor (cursor) available to make the cuts. The clip just plays.

Thanks
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 06, 2014 01:05AM) ronny courtens
A number of things can be causing this.

- It could be a preference conflict. So first I would refresh the FCP X preferences on the MacPro. If this does not help:

- It could be a playback issue. When working with multicam you have to make sure that the external media drive where the multicam clips are stored is fast enough to supply the multiple simultaneous video streams. Are you using the same external media drive for the iMac and for the MacPro? Multicam clips should NEVER be stored on the system drive.

- It could be a RAM issue. You need a generous amount of RAM to cache multicam video. How much RAM do you have on the iMac and on the MacPro?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 06, 2014 01:13AM) cooldad414
The external drive is a 7200 and the footage is not on system drive on either machine
The Mac Pro has 16 gb of ram , the iMac has less
The machines are in different locations in my house and they both have their own external drives

I didn't refresh the preferences on the Mac Pro so I guess that would be my next step. I did uninstall and reinstall fcpx but that didn't help

Thanks for all your help. I won't get back to the machine till tomorrow, enjoy your day

David
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 06, 2014 01:14AM) ronny courtens
Hi David,

Okay, keep us updated and enjoy your Sunday.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 07, 2014 02:09PM) cooldad414
hi Ronny

Trashed prefs and no luck

I am puzzled beyond belief

David
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 01:44PM) Peter
never had any multi cam issues in legacy versions.
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 01:47PM) cooldad414
Don't know what the problem is but, it won't multicam on my Mac Pro
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 06:54PM) ronny courtens
Hi Peter,

Thank you, very helpful (-:

Hi David,

You don't have any multicam issues on your iMac, only on your MacPro. So we have to look at what could be wrong with the setup on your MacPro.

- What OS are you running on the MacPro?
- What version of FCP X?
- Do you have the CoreMelt Lock&Load plugin installed on the MacPro?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 10:24PM) cooldad414
Hi Ronny

Not in front of machine, but the OS is the same on both machines(that was already checked)
Using FCP 10.1 on both
Not sure on the plug in you are asking about. If the machine has it , where could I look to see if it's there?
If the machine doesn't have it, where is it obtainable from?

Thanks for your help, have a great day

David
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 11:01PM) ronny courtens
I only asked about the CoreMelt Lock&Load plugin because this has caused issues with multi cam on other systems. If you don't have it installed on the MacPro, this does not matter.

iMacs are very different from older MacPros. Event though you run exactly the same software on them there is no guarantee that everything will work the same on both systems. The issue you are having obviously has nothing to do with FCP X, so there must be something in the older MacPro that is causing your troubles. Although the 5770 is a supported graphics card you will need to make sure that you have installed the latest drivers for it. Most drivers are included in the OS. So I would update the OS on your MacPro to Mavericks 10.9.4 and FCP X to 10.1.2 to see if this solves the problem. Especially FCP X 10.1.2 is a big step forward from 10.1.0.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX MULTICAM (July 23, 2014 11:05PM) cooldad414
Hi Ronny

just read your last post
since it seems all else is in place I guess the next thing to do is upgrade to 10.1.2

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login