Re: create .WMV files

create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 03:50AM) jpl
Hi,

For a web video I exported a FCP 7 sequence via QT Conversion >MP4 with a H.264 Video Format. Some of the clients can't read it in .mp4 format. Apparently they need a .WMV version. How can I create this? Thank you.
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 06:04AM) David Harbsmeier
To create WMV files on a Mac, you'll need on of the pair versions of flip4mac. But Windows Media Player can also play MPEG-2 Program Streams perfectly ... and you can create those in Compressor.

-DH
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 06:10AM) jpl
Hi David, Thank you.

I'll also try the MPEG-2 - compressor route. Should I just "Send to Compressor" and select MPEG -2? I see three settings. Which is the best: Elementary, Program Stream or Transport Stream? Will this quality be good enough to download on the web?

Also, What do you mean by pair version of flip4mac? I downloaded flip4mac (the basic one for 5.95) but it doesn't seem to work. Someone suggested that it would work with MPEG stream clip. Thanks again.

Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 06:44AM) David Harbsmeier
As I said, an MPEG-2 Program Stream will pay fine in Windows Media Player (and can also be uploaded to YouTube).

-DH
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 07:28AM) jpl
Thanks David,
I will try MPEG-2 but I thought MPEG-2 was for DVDs. Which is MPEG-2 is the best: Elementary, Program Stream or Transport Stream? Will this quality be good enough to download on the web?

thanks
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 06:34AM) David Harbsmeier
Sorry ... that should have been "paid" version.
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 07:58AM) jpl
Thank you David, I'm trying MPEG-2 but again, just to be sure, I thought MPEG-2 was for DVDs. Which is MPEG-2 is the best: Elementary, Program Stream or Transport Stream? Will this quality be good enough to download on the web?
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:24PM) David Harbsmeier
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:30PM) jpl
Great. So MPEG-2 Program Stream files can be used for both MAC and PC if the viewer as Windows Media Player?
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:35PM) David Harbsmeier
On a Mac, the viewer will need to have the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (available from Apple for $19.99 USD) or install VLC Player. On a Windows computer, the file should play natively in Windows Media Player. We have to send files all the time to clients for approval (via FTP) and I've never had a Windows user not be able to play one.

I normally limit the bit rate to 15Mbps, but have gone as high as 35Mbps when meeting a client's specific requirements.

-DH

Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:38PM) jpl
I think the client prefers something more universal without having all the employees download extra software and has been told that .WMV files work with both platforms. Do you know if this is true?
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:51PM) David Harbsmeier
WMV file will only play on a Mac when flip4mac is installed ... the free version will do that.

H.264 is pretty universal and should also play on both platforms. If you've tried that before and found some users that couldn't play the file, perhaps their graphics card didn't have enough horsepower to do it. Many corporate laptops are built that way.

-DH
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 12:57PM) jpl
OK, Thank for all this David. So perhaps the best way to go is try H.264 OR MPEG-2 and have the MAC viewer use VLC player?
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 01:05PM) David Harbsmeier
Yes. But personally I prefer the MPEG-2 Program Stream. H.264 is a more efficient codec, meaning better quality at lower file sizes, but it takes a really long, long time in Compressor compared to an MPEG-2 file. And depending on the bit rate used, most viewers won't be able to tell any difference in quality.

-DH
Re: create .WMV files (July 06, 2014 01:06PM) jpl
OK. Thanks for all your advice David. I'll send them both options and see how it works for them. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login