Re: 3.0 USB cable upgrade?

3.0 USB cable upgrade? (July 07, 2014 03:04PM) matthew sommerville
Should I assume, now that I'm using a Mac with 3.0 ubs inputs that my 2.0 cables need to be replaced? Hearing conflicting reports....

Re: 3.0 USB cable upgrade? (July 07, 2014 03:42PM) Joe Redifer
Only if they're attached to USB 3 devices. If your devices are all from the USB 2 era then they'll always be running in USB 2.
Re: 3.0 USB cable upgrade? (July 08, 2014 04:13AM) matthew sommerville
Hi Joe,

I assume the USB on my camcorder end (JVC GY-HM150u) is USB 2 technology. The iMac is USB 3.0.

Is what you're saying, the UBS on the JVC end means it will be running at 2.0 capacity?

Thanks.
Re: 3.0 USB cable upgrade? (July 08, 2014 04:42AM) VidGreg
Hi Mathew,
USB3 is both device dependent and cable dependent.
Your new iMac has USB3 chips built in, so if both devices on each end of a USB3 cable have USB3 chips (aka SuperSpeed USB) then the transfers will happen at USB3 speeds.
If you use a USB2 cable, then no matter what, transfer speeds are limited to USB2 speeds. The USB3 cable has extra wires and can support faster speeds and voltage/watts.
If either device is USB2, then transfer is limited to USB2.
Having said all this, you can use a USB3 cable for both USB3 and USB2 devices.
While Apple has chosen to use a universal USB3/2 port, many PC makers have separate USB2 & 3 ports with the USB3 port marked by SS-USB and normally is colored blue.
For video work, USB3 is the way to go. Not sure about your camcorder, you need to check your specs. I normally pop the card out and insert directly into computer for transfer.
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: 3.0 USB cable upgrade? (July 09, 2014 03:14PM) matthew sommerville
Yes, my JVC is 2.0 vintage. Well, that means no need to purchase new cables.
However, as you suggest, the workaround is to bypass the issue and use the SD slot in the computer.
Done.

Thanks for response. This is an awesome site...

Matthew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login