Re: Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips

Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips (July 12, 2014 12:34AM) game-b
I did a 12 Minute editing using the original mts files, as it is now possible in the new version to edit directly with mts (?). As I was having problems along the way I transcoded the files into proxy. Now that I came to finish the editing I would like to change to the original files again. So I clicked at the viewer downscroll the original media button. But it takes literally a few hours now to relink. Every single clip needs several minutes to show up. Its impossible to proceed like this. Is there anyway, that I could transcode only the clips I used into ProRes422? What could I do? Am I doing something wrong?
Re: Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips (July 12, 2014 09:19AM) ronny courtens
You are not ding anything wrong, it's just that your system doesn't seem up to handling MTS files natively.

Although you can edit MTS files natively in FCP X it is still an extremely lousy format to work with because it is so heavily compressed. So you really need a beefy system with loads of RAM to decode this crappy codec in realtime, especially when you work with long clips on a larger project.

So yes if you still need to do some verifying or editing after having switched back from Proxy mode it would be better to transcode your media to Optimized first. You can select the used clips in the Browser, R-click the selection and choose "Transcode". This will only convert the used clips to ProRes 422 (Optimized). To know which Browser clips were used in your Project you can select View > Show Used Media Ranges. Every clip that has been used int the currently opened project will have orange markers.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips (July 12, 2014 10:04PM) game-b
No, I am on an external drive of course. I am going through the whole film now, clip by clip cronologically, to avoid any mistake. The thing is that it stops by itself reconnecting to the original mts files, even if my computer is not in sleep modus. So I have to wait nearly every single clip for a couple of minutes, then move on with the timeline to the next one, which then will start to reconnect again, and so on. By some weird reason it will not connect all the files continously. I do have long clips indeed. Thanks so much Ronny, but now slowly I will get to it and then never again :))
Re: Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips (July 12, 2014 06:19PM) game-b
Thx Ronny again for your always quick help. I will never ever use mts directly imported, its a nightmare.
I switched back to optimized/original files. Now, when I try to transcode the used clips with the orange markers, by right clicking etc, the window shows up in gray, its not activated, hence I cannot transcode. Then when I scroll down the clips in the event browser, the little coloured spinning ball appears, means the computer is still working (Macbook Pro 15 I7, 2012, 16GB Ram), trying to reconnect to the original media I recon (?). It did the same thing yesterday for hours and it didn't resolve anything... What can I do now? Don't ever tell people to use mts files for editing in FCPX... update: some thumbnails are slowly appearing in the browser, when I right click them to transcode, the transcode window is not gray anymore. Looks like I will have to wait days, so all the clips will be reconnected and then transcode, oh,oh,oh...

Re: Problems with Changing from Proxy to Original clips (July 12, 2014 08:26PM) ronny courtens
Your MBP can handle native MTS, but maybe there's just too many of them or some of them are very long? Are they placed on an external drive? If so I do hope it's not an USB drive, because that would indeed be very, very slow. Having them on your internal drive would be even worse.

Best thing you can do now is let FCP X connect all your clips to their original media first. Don't touch the computer and certainly don't start transcoding anything until reconnecting is done to avoid overloading your system. Reconnecting may look like it's going to take days, depending on how much media you have, but once the system can concentrate on that one task things can improve really fast.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login