Re: Transition trouble...

Transition trouble... (July 28, 2014 04:52AM) johnmcd
Hello my Final Cut friends.

I'm editing a piece today with a background of misc videos with the opacity dropped. On top of that are logos, that change every few seconds.

For some reason, I'm unable to successfully add transitions to these logos. Have I missed something? There is no space between them. Attempting to add a transition between two them causes the transition to be added to the beginning and end of the logo.
Re: Transition trouble... (July 28, 2014 06:12AM) ronny courtens
I assume you are not using the latest version of FCP X?

Select the logo clips and press CMD+G. This will put the logos inside a secondary storyline. Now you should be able to add transitions between the clips.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Transition trouble... (July 28, 2014 07:16AM) johnmcd
Thanks Ronny, as always. Well. I learned something new today. I need to study this a bit more. I haven't used secondary storylines and it would seem this could solve some challenges for me.

I did notice by adding the secondary storyline, it created a one frame glitch in the primary storyline, causing a "jump" from two random frames.

PS... I'm using 10.1.2
Re: Transition trouble... (July 28, 2014 07:56AM) ronny courtens
I just asked what version you were using because in the first versions of FCP X you needed to manually create the secondary storyline before you could add the transitions. In any recent version, whenever you add a transition to connected clips they automatically get put into a secondary storyline. So you did have something weird going on.

What surprises me is that you got a glitch in the primary when you created the secondary. That is absolutely not normal behavior and this could explain why you could not add the transitions in the first place.

I cannot see anything abnormal in the screenshot you have provided, so I suggest you refresh your FCP X preferences just to make sure. In 10.1.2 you can easily refresh the preferences by launching FCP X while holding the CMD+ALT keys pressed. A window will appear asking you if you want to refresh the preferences. Just confirm and it's done.

Secondary storylines are extremely useful as they allow you to group clips into a container that is only connected to one specific clip in the primary storyline. You can move the secondary storyline as one clip and when you trim any of the clips in the secondary you get the same magnetic features as if they were in the primary storyline. You also can add new clips to a secondary storyline just by dragging the clips into it.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login