Final Cut playback issue

Final Cut playback issue (July 30, 2014 08:48PM) coxtel
Hi there ..... I recently had an issue when playing vision from final cut pro X on my new mac pro to an external monitor ....... it would occasionally stutter and freeze and it seems it may be an issue with the blackmagic mini converter . When I turned off the AV output the problem seemed to not happen........ or so I thought . After editing for a while without the AV output turned on I now notice the vision will stutter for a few moments from time to time when I press the spacebar to play it .......Could it possibly be a drive issue ? . I have all my vision and projects stored in a library on a pegasus 2 thunderbolt raid drive ......once again any thoughts would be appreciated ....... thanks Terry
Re: Final Cut playback issue (July 31, 2014 09:22PM) ronny courtens
Hi Terry,

These are the steps you should take:

1. Completely disconnect the mini converter from your mac. This converter is not suited for monitoring broadcast video from the Thunderbolt port, it just delivers a computer preview quality and it drains the resources from your TB ports. Dump it or use it elsewhere. If you want true SDI or HDMI video quality monitoring from the TB connectors you should consider the AJA T-TAP, the AJA IoXT or similar boxes from BlackMagic or Matrox. Always make sure to have the latest drivers installed for these boxes.

2. Once the converter is physically disconnected play back your video and see if you still have the stuttering. If so:

- Do a repair permissions on your system drive
- Reset your FCP X preferences. In 10.1.2 the best way to do this is to launch FCP X while holding down the ALT+CMD keys. A message will pop up asking you if you want to reset the preferences, just confirm and let FCP X launch.

Play your video again to check the stuttering. If it still persists we will need additional information:

- What version of Mavericks are you running?
- What is the nature of your footage? Are you editing with the native media or are you working with optimized media?
- Do you have Background Rendering turned ON?
- Is your FCP X playback set to Better Performance or Better Quality?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login