Re: treble not TROUBLE in my audio

treble not TROUBLE in my audio (August 01, 2014 08:32AM) Margo
I'm trying to add some treble to voice over to match the standup. The audio is absolutely clean - no hiss, no problems - just needs some treble.

What filter is best for this? I'm a novice when it comes to audio and totally respect the wizards who are audio guys. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks -
Margo
Re: treble not TROUBLE in my audio (August 01, 2014 10:28AM) David Harbsmeier
Use one of the EQ filters to boost the higher ranges ... if the audio is mainly human voice a boost around the 2500hz frequency should do well. Or sometimes the best approach is to reduce the lower end to make it less "bassy."

-DH

Re: treble not TROUBLE in my audio (August 01, 2014 10:31AM) Joe Redifer
Final Cut Pro 7 or Final Cut Pro X?

With FCPX you go to the inspector on the right (of you do not see it, press COMMAND and 4 at the same time). Select the clip that you'd like to adjust the treble on. Now in the inspector click the AUDIO tab at the top of the window. I'm going from memory so bear with me. One of the options should be for EQ. There may be a few presets like Boost Treble and Boost Bass, etc. You can try one of those. Otherwise you can choose to do it manually, Change it from 10-band to 31-band at the bottom of the new window and bring up the frequencies from around 2k to 5k. Be very careful with this. You want to have a smooth roll on and off otherwise it will sound very harsh. So if your 4K is +4db then the ones next to it should be around +2db so it curves up and then back down again smoothly. Play with these until you find the sound that you like. But be careful, what sounds like a good EQ on your speakers/headphones will not sound good on everyone else's setups! After you're done, copy the clip (Command and C at the same time) and select all of the other clips you wish to adjust.. Then go to EDIT > PASTE ATTRIBUTES and select EQ. They now all have the same EQ adjustments.

For Final Cut Pro 7 there is an audio filter called EQ (I think it's under the AUDIO FILTERS > APPLE > APPLE PARAMETRIC EQ or something like that... again going from memory). Apply that and the same sound rules apply when adjusting the EQ. You can also copy and paste attributes but here you will be pasting "FILTERS" instead of EQ specifically.
Re: treble not TROUBLE in my audio (August 01, 2014 11:29AM) Margo
I was on the right track. So to speak.

You guys are great. Thanks for the help. FCP7 is the program. Haven't made the big leap yet.

Margo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login