Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use?

which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 15, 2014 01:56PM) pnutsnz
Hello everyone,

After using my 2010 macbook pro for editing using FXPX, and with all the sludgery problems I have been having (slow rendering, spinning beach ball appearing after applying a few simple transitions, takes forever to start & stop etc), I have decided I need to go for a setup that supports the required specs.

Just recently an older Mac Pro tower has come up for sale, and I am wondering if I can go back to this model and still have something useable?

The tower is a "Apple Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 (2008)".

Ironically I was demonstrating Parallels Desktop running Win 7 Ultimate, and running Adobe Premiere CS6 to a client, and that was running a lot more faster and responsive than FCPX on my mac direct!. So obviously the problems are just the demands that FCPX puts on the system.

Thanks for any help.

BTW: I would still have to purchase a monitor for the / a tower.... Is there anybody using a high-end television for the monitor while editing / processing Audio / Video?. I have a friend that uses a very high end Panasonic for his audio, and it seems to be displaying data / graphics perfectly?. That would be a lot cheaper than buying an equivalent monitor size!.
I realise it won't be as simple as that, monitors are designed as high-res devices with all the colour matching built in. But can I get away with it?.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers everybody!.

Pete
Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 18, 2014 07:01PM) Craig Seeman
I have a 2008 8 core MacPro. The GPU that came with it was not FCPX compatibility so when that came out I had to buy a newer GPU (not officially supported) from Apple. That GPU is no longer available from Apple (ATI Radeon 5770).

The 2009 MacPro Xeons supported virtual cores so 8 would appear as 16 in some apps. I believe it also came with a GPU that's still FCPX compatibility. If you can find an '09 MacPro I think you'd be much better off.

BTW I do have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro and it ran FCPX much better than my 2008 MacPro. I'm honestly not sure a 2008 MacPro is going to be that much better than your 2010 MBP.
Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 19, 2014 03:38AM) ronny courtens
Hi Pete,

Also consider that FCP X likes working with as much RAM as you can give it. Considering that extra RAM for a 2008 MP is very expensive nowadays you might be better of with a more recent model. As Craig said: 2011 MBPs or iMacs work much better with FCP X than the old towers as long as they have sufficient RAM. The 2010 MBP doesn't seem to perform at all with X.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 18, 2014 10:37PM) pnutsnz
Thanks so much Craig. Thought it be on the borderline.

As you mentioned a 2009 Mac Pro Xeon might be the way to go (at least).

Thanks again.I shall tread with caution!... See what else comes up.

Pete.
Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 19, 2014 09:52AM) Joe Redifer
Re: which Mac Pro tower is best to use? (August 28, 2014 02:39AM) VidGreg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login