Re: iMac

iMac (August 23, 2014 03:13AM) Kent
I am going to update my 2011 iMac. It will not smoothly play back 4K video and is slow with Final Cut X.

My question is what to buy? I am a value kind of guy, the most bang for the buck over the long haul. I could reluctantly afford what ever. I intend to stay with Apple. Should I spend the extra money for the Mac Pro and get a third party 4K monitor (if so which one) or should I buy another iMac. What would be the best configuration for the iMac?

You opinions would be appreciated?

Cheers

Kent
Re: iMac (August 25, 2014 06:22AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

Have you tried working with Proxy from your 4K? Proxy works great.

--ken
Re: iMac (August 25, 2014 01:32PM) Kent
Hi Ken;
Yes I have and you are right it does work great. I generally keep a computer about three years. Three years is almost up and technology has advanced considerably. I have been reading about 4k monitors and the incredible images they display. If my choice is an iMac I would then use a 4k monitor as a second display.

Besides I am getting old & intend on spending a good chunk of my daughters inheritance.

Cheers

Kent
Re: iMac (August 26, 2014 06:14AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

Interesting. Wondering how you are going to attach the 4k monitor to your iMac. I know that you are going to be using Thunderbolt, but I'm wondering if 4k monitors have a Thunderbolt port.

--ken
Re: iMac (August 27, 2014 03:51AM) Kent
Re: iMac (August 27, 2014 07:32AM) Ken Stone Admin
I wonder if the Thunderbolt to HDMI convert will handle 4k properly. This is new territory....and ... 4k monitors are very expensive right now.

Keep us posted.

--ken
Re: iMac (August 27, 2014 11:13AM) Kent
My pleasure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login