Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7

iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 03:38AM) visualartsent
Over the past few years I have had no problem importing QuickTime H264 video files from FCP 7 into iTunes and syncing them up to my iPad where I can show my work to clients when traveling. It seems ever since the IOS8 update last year, I have been pulling my hair out trying to make this happen. I've tried using MPEG Streamclip, Handbrake, Compressor and exporting from Final Cut Pro in various sizes and formats but cannot get anything to sync/play to my iPad anymore. Many of the clips I create will go into iTunes but when I sync them it says "this iPad will not play this format so it wasn't downloaded onto the iPad". I've googled this up the wazoo and still no luck. I'm pretty green at using Compressor but am willing to get through it as I need to get a video onto my iPad before an upcoming trip next week for a client to view. What am I doing wrong? I can go to my FCP7 timeline and output (my current timeline settings are 1920x1080i HD) or I can take the existing 30 second quicktime clip which is on my desktop ready to be converted into a program that can make it work.
Please help. Thanks a million.
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 03:52AM) ronny courtens
FCP X and Compressor 4.1 have specific export presets for Apple Devices. If you have an older iPad, choosing the "Most Compatible" HD preset should do the trick.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 04:50AM) visualartsent
I updated to latest Compressor (4.1.3) I get the attached warning/notice
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 04:52AM) ronny courtens
Which iPad do you have?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 04:57AM) visualartsent
I have the 2nd IPAD I believe
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 05:47AM) ronny courtens
If you have an iPad 2nd generation the "Apple Devices HD (Most Compatible)" preset should work. Just make sure that Frame Size does not exceed 1280x720 (only newer iPads can play 1080). See screenshot 1.

If your iPad is older you will need to use the "SD for AppleDevices" preset. See screenshot 2.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 03:55AM) visualartsent
Thank you - greatly appreciated. ]But I do NOT use FCP X, I use 7. Will this work??? And I just realized my Compressor program is 3.5.3 I guess its time for an update.
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 04:11AM) ronny courtens
Compressor is a standalone application, if you update to the latest version via the App Store you will get the new presets. I have no trouble using these files on my iPhone or iPad.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 04:16AM) visualartsent
Many Thanks!
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 07:05AM) visualartsent
Man, NOTHINGS is working...WOW. HELLLLP!?
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 07:16AM) ronny courtens
Try this:

Open your video in iTunes.
Select the video then choose File > Create new version > create iphone or ipad version.

If this doesn't work I'm afraid you will have to get in touch with an Apple support centre or bring your iPad to an Apple Store.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: iPad compatibility from FCP 7 (September 29, 2014 07:18AM) visualartsent
Thank YOU! I will try that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login