Re: FCPX audio to video sync

FCPX audio to video sync (October 01, 2014 07:34AM) Trig Simon
Re: FCPX audio to video sync (October 02, 2014 01:02AM) ronny courtens
Wether you record video and audio together or you sync video with external audio, the only way of knowing if video and audio are in sync is by watching the result. That's why people use slates at the start of their recordings, because a slate provides a clear visual and audible reference point (the clap).

When you have created a synchronized clip and you have not used a slate you must check the video and see if the audio is really in sync with it. If it isn't perfectly in sync: double-click the synchronized clip and it will open in its own timeline. In this timeline you will see the video clip separated from the synced audio clip. Now you can select the audio and move it under the video by very small increments until it's perfectly in sync with the video. When this is done you can return to the Project timeline. The corrections are automatically sever inside the synchronized clip.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX audio to video sync (October 02, 2014 04:56AM) Trig Simon
Thanks Ronny,
My problem isn't syncing the original media audio with its associated video. My problem is when I have cut out sections of the show, between dance numbers, and accidentally use the ripple edit instead of the roll edit. Now this may have happened many steps earlier but just didn't notice it until working down the line. Now, rather than undoing everything you have done, how can I get the audio and video back in sync going forward? If I double click on the video, it goes to a random spot on the media clip and then have to search the media timeline to find your place. Not like FCP7.

Thanks again for your continued help here, Ronny,

Trig
Re: FCPX audio to video sync (October 02, 2014 05:27AM) ronny courtens
Okay, so you have cut a multicam show and after the show was cut you have cut out some sections but you accidentally have rippled the video cuts out of sync with the audio track. Now you want to go to the spot where the audio has gone out of sync and you want to put the audio back in sync under the existing video cuts until the end of the show. Is that correct?

In this case the easiest thing to do is to go to the first cut where the audio is out of sync, select all the cuts beyond that point, R-click the selection and choose "Detach Audio". This will make the audio under these cuts independent from the video. Now you can select the audio clips and move the selection back in sync with the video.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX audio to video sync (October 02, 2014 06:55AM) Trig Simon
Yes, that is what I have done. But, with no spoken words, I was looking for a way to empirically put it in sync. There are no clip time codes to match up, or button to press that says 'slip into sync' like in FCP7?
Re: FCPX audio to video sync (October 02, 2014 08:11AM) ronny courtens
You can slip video into sync with audio for individual clips, but just like in FCP7 you will have to do this cut by cut when it's a multicam clip that has been cut on the timeline. If the audio is out of sync during the complete show you can open the multicam clip in the Angle Viewer and adjust the audio angle so it gets back in sync with the video. Or you can return to the spot where you have slipped your multicam edit out of sync and repair the sync on that spot.

It's really hard, not to say nearly impossible, to get a multicam clip out of sync in FCP X. You can slip individual cuts but this will never affect the following cuts. So I really wonder how you have done this.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login