Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue)

FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 10:42AM) JavaPop
I have added dissolves to several clips on my project, and no matter how much time I add to the dissolve, it seems to fade in way too quickly every time.

Is there any special method for getting slow dissolves? Fade in from black is the biggest need; but a slow face in. I have tried key framing opacity with some success; but that seems a little over the board.

any ideas?

FCPx 10.1.3 on a MBP i7 2.5GHz with 16GB ram

-another fine day at
GreenPeas Productions
www.greenpeas.us
<")))))><
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 10:55AM) Joe Redifer
Fading in and out is trickier in FCPX than it is with FCP7 when using dissolves. Here's what I do.

-Remove the part you want to fade in from the primary storyline. Basically this will put it above a gap. There is a command called "Remove from storyline" when you right click. Or at least there should be. It's somewhere.

-Extend the gap back a bit so that you have a few frames (or seconds, minutes or hours) of black before the fade in starts. Keep in mind that a gap is not the same thing as a slug is in FCP7. It's just a transparent thingy. You can also use a black solid from the Generators pane if you need a solid.

-Click on the beginning of the clip you wish to fade in. Press Apple + T. Actually I think the button is just called Command now. I've been using Apple products for way too long. Somebody please shoot me. Anyway press Command + T to place a dissolve, assuming that's still your default transition.

-You now have a fade in from black which is probably 1 second long which is clearly unacceptable. Drag it to any length you want or type in a new duration. It can be seconds, minutes, hours, weeks, months or even years long. I suggest going for the world's longest fade-in of 26 years.

-Export to ProRes 4444XQ and then upload to Youtube. Make monies and impress ladies.

Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 10:57AM) JavaPop
I'll give it a whirl! (Thanks!)

-another fine day at
GreenPeas Productions
www.greenpeas.us
<")))))><
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 11:03AM) JavaPop
okay, well, that didn't seem to work, here's what I did looks like

-another fine day at
GreenPeas Productions
www.greenpeas.us
<")))))><
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 11:28AM) Trig Simon
Joe, isn't there a limit on timeline length in FCPX like in FCP&? ...and I'll bet it was you that set that 26 year record.

Trig
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 12:33PM) Joe Redifer
That should absolutely work. FCPX's thumbnails are rarely accurate, so I need to ask how long is the black area on the front of the BMC--timeline-SOT-titles compound clip? If you were to move MVI_4377 to the left, it would indeed fade in over the gap.
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 06, 2014 01:20PM) JavaPop
The gap on front was 3 seconds, and the dissolve was 1:21

I moved the clip to where the dissolve is positioned over the gap, and increased the duration to 3 seconds.... playing back it still jumps up very quickly (:10 seconds or so) rather than slowly fading in.

The screen pull was after I lengthened the gad a bit more to 5 seconds... no change

-another fine day at
GreenPeas Productions
www.greenpeas.us
<")))))><
Re: FCPx and dissolves (issue) (October 07, 2014 10:05AM) Joe Redifer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login