Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode

FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 14, 2014 01:36PM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I just started cutting my first project in FCP X. When I go to full screen mode, I get an annoying dot dead center in the screen. I've trashed preferences to no avail. It does not appear in an exported master file. Sometimes, when I re-start, it disappears but soon after, it returns.
I called Apple Tech Support and they have no idea what's causing it.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 14, 2014 03:19PM) Joe Redifer
Maybe a dead pixel on your camera?

Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 14, 2014 05:12PM) philsfilm
No. It's inconsistent. Gotta be an FCP X bug.
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 15, 2014 03:42AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

A particular issue is only considered as a bug if many people experience the issue on different systems. This is the first time I hear about a dead pixel showing up in FCP X full screen mode, and an internet search resulted in no other threads regarding such an issue. So I think the cause of the problem should be found elsewhere than in the application. What kind of Mac are you cutting on and what kind of graphics card is inside the Mac?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 15, 2014 04:05AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

I'm on a 27 iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 20 GB RAM with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. Like I said, it only appears in FCP X full screen mode. Never in QT player or in DVD Player.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 15, 2014 04:33AM) ronny courtens
Thank you for the information. Some of our iMacs are exactly the same and AFAIK they don't have this problem.

Use the FCP X feedback page to report this. I haven't seen this before, nor have I ever heard about this issue. If the FCP X team is aware of this they should be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 15, 2014 01:47PM) Joe Redifer
Can you get a screenshot of this?
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 16, 2014 02:41AM) philsfilm
OK, Joe, here are four examples enlarged slightly. It's a white dot in the center of the screen. It appears intermittently and only in FCP X full-screen mode, not in the viewer at normal editing size. When I re-start, it disappears for a while only to return soon after. I can work with it but it's annoying.
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 16, 2014 08:16AM) Joe Redifer
Interesting. What graphic card do you have?
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 16, 2014 10:07AM) philsfilm
A brand new AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. It's one of the approved ones for FCP X.
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 16, 2014 12:24PM) philsfilm
Just figured out that the mysterious dot only appears in full-screen mode when Window-Viewer Display-Show Title/Action Safe Zones is checked. You learn something new every day.
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 17, 2014 07:56AM) Joe Redifer
Very interesting! I was able to make this happen myself. But it only appeared when I played back the video itself in full screen. The app being in full screen (which is what I thought you meant) doesn't seem to matter.

Looks like we've got a legit FCPX bug up in here! I have a Mac Pro, the trash can one, by the way.

Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 17, 2014 09:09AM) ronny courtens
You may have discovered a legitimate bug. I have reproduced this on different machines now, two of them running Yosemite and one running Mavericks. The Title Safe seems indeed to cause the issue.

EDIT: I asked some people over at fcp.co to do some testing as well, and it does not seem to be consistent.

Do use the FCP X feedback page to report this to Apple.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 18, 2014 01:29AM) philsfilm
Ha! Do I win a prize?

Yes, the Title Safe feature is the culprit. As I mentioned, I did report this to Apple tech support and they had no answer.

Ronny, when you say FCP X feedback page, do you mean the Apple forum?

Phil
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 18, 2014 09:48AM) Joe Redifer
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 19, 2014 08:02PM) ronny courtens
A workaround found by Joe is to zoom in on the full-screen image (CMD +), then zoom out again (CMD -). That will get rid of the dot and it will restore the Title Safe zones.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 19, 2014 11:19PM) philsfilm
Maybe it was added intentionally to remind you that Title Safe is on.
Re: FCP X Dot in Full Screen Mode (October 20, 2014 02:34AM) philsfilm
I tried that and it messed up the framing of the workspace mode so I have reset the "fit" screen setting. I'll leave it alone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login