Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X

Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 12:45AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Is there a way of using keyframes to animate the tracking in the Title tool? When I attempted to do that, the "Add Keyframe" feature was grayed out.

Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 04:30AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

Title parameters can be keyframed in the Title tab of the Inspector, not in the Text tab.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 05:57AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

Check out the Text page. The info is there but it's grayed out. On the Title page is nothing.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 06:23AM) ronny courtens
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 10:17AM) philsfilm
Thanks so much, Ronny. It works really well!

BTW, after much delay, I am finally assimilating FCP X and actually having fun. I have a long correspondance from
you on this forum explaining its benefit. I tested Adobe Creative Cloud programs including Premiere
Pro and this is a whole new ballgame. I do like AfterEffects and Photoshop and their interaction with Premiere Pro and its elliptical mask. But so far. FCP X seems light years ahead of PP in terms of speed and ease and operation.
My only problem is that I am midway in a long form project in FCP 7. It's too complicated to transfer to X with that "7 to X" program so I'll finish in 7. The only question in my mind is "Will FCP 7 run in the new OS, Yosemite?"
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 15, 2014 06:41PM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

FCP7 opens fine in Yosemite, but there are little issues with scopes not acting properly and some other stuff not working correctly. These may be fixed in the final master, but no guarantees. So I would finish the FCP 7 project on the OS you are currently using and update to Yosemite when it's done. By then you will be even more comfortable with FCP X and you will be able to lay FCP7 to rest. You also could keep your current system drive to run FCP7 and install Yosemite, FCP X and only the apps you really need on a new clean drive. Starting from a lean and clean install is always better than updating the OS over an older one.

I agree with your assessment. Once you really get working with FCP X you understand how much power there really is behind that simplified UI. The major mistake some people are making is to try to make FCP X work like FCP7 or another legacy NLE, that's a recipe for disaster. If you work with the application and no against it you will indeed find that it is blazing fast and easy to use, and that it actually can make editing fun again. Just like you I have tested several other options before deciding to use FCP X as our standard NLE. And I still do regular tests with lots of other software, after all that's my job. Premiere CC is slowly catching up with FCP X. But I'm afraid it will soon hit the ceiling that is typical for any classic NLE, while FCP X has a totally new underlying technology of which we haven't even touched the basics at this moment. I think in a few months we will see some more of what's lying ahead, and it could be very interesting.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 12:19AM) philsfilm
Yes, Ronny, I'm discovering a lot about FCP X and enjoying it. However, as I mentioned, since I'm editing (and shooting) a long form project in FCP 7, I have to stay with it for that. I also can't really afford to purchase another computer so I will be staying with my 3 year old iMac for a while longer. I'm curious to know how you know FCP 7 seems to run OK on Yosemite. Did you personally test it? I'm running it on Mavericks with no problem and it was installed over Mountain Lion.

One thing that I'm not so crazy about is the SHARE DVD making process in FCP X. Where are the mp2 and ac3 files? Somewhere in the Library I suppose? What if I want to make another DVD from the same Project? I have to repeat the process. My workaround has been to make a Master File, take that to DVDSP4, encode it and keep those files in a folder. Then I can return to my DVDSP4 project any time that I want to make more DVDs or make a Dick Image. Which brings me to another issue: will DVDSP4, another 32 bit program run, in Yosemite? Many of my clients and myself want DVDs for film festivals and screenings. I would hate to lose that. It does bother me that Apple shows no concern about supporting these solid programs that many rely upon.

Anyway, thanks again for your valuable support and assistance in this time of change.

Phil

P.S.
I assume you have been beta testing Yosemite. When do you anticipate the release of the final master?
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 03:47AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

The third Gold Master candidate of Yosemite has been released recently, so I'm expecting the official version of the new OS to be announced very soon, probably even today.

Apple does not support DVDSP anymore, just like Adobe has abandoned further development of Encore. You can export a simple DVD right from within FCP X, or you can burn as many DVDs as you wish from an image using the burning application inside the OS. When you use FCP X to burn a DVD it stores the created files inside your Library, in the Shared Items folder. Of course you still can export a master file and use iDVD, DVDSP or Toast to create a DVD from the master file.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 03:58AM) philsfilm
Like I said, Ronny, I like to export my Master File from FCP X, check it for quality and then, as you mentioned, burn it from DVDSP4 using their menu and titling system. So the question remains, "Will DVDSP4 continue to play on the new OS?"

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 04:00AM) ronny courtens
I have tested FCP7 and DVDSP on Yosemite and both worked, with some minor issues for FCP7. But beta releases change a lot and I have no guarantee any of these applications will still run on final master of the new OS. We will know very, very soon now.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 05:21AM) philsfilm
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 01:37PM) ronny courtens
I have been testing the official release of Yosemite in the past few hours. FCP X runs perfectly, will do some tests with FCS apps tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 16, 2014 03:24PM) philsfilm
That's good to hear, Ronny.

Can't wait to know about FCP 7, DVDSP4 as well as Motion 4, Compressor 3.5.3.

Thanks so much,
Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 17, 2014 01:06AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

These are the results of my tests:

FCP 7 works fine, no issues.
DVDSP seems to have no problems at all.
Motion 4 does not work anymore on Yosemite. But you have Motion 5 now, which is much better.
Same story for Compressor. The new Compressor is much faster anyway.
Soundtrack has become unusable, no big loss. If you have FCP X you can do anything you ever did in Soundtrack. With Logic Pro X you can do even much more, and you have a powerful mixer. FCP X and LPX work perfectly together via FCPX XML.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 17, 2014 01:18AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

Thanks for getting back to me with your test results.
As far as Soundtrack, I don't use the program anyway. What I do is access the sound effects (caf. files) from the Soundtrack library and use them in my FCP 7 projects. I even cut some into my first FCP X project. Will that still be possible after upgrading to Yosemite?

So, since I am deep in mid-project in FCP 7, do you think it's safe to upgrade or should I wait a bit? As a backup everyday, I clone my main hard (boot) drive with Mavericks to an external G drive. If I have a problem with Yosemite, is it viable to operate FCP 7 from the cloned backup external drive?

Thanks so much again,
Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 17, 2014 01:55AM) ronny courtens
Soundtrack isn't stable on Yosemite, but you still have access to all the sound effects that get installed with it. These haven nothing to do with the application itself.

If you have a clone backup of your Mavericks system drive you can always work from this drive if anything should go wrong. But if you don't really need the new features of Yosemite you can always finish your current FCP project first and update afterwards.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 17, 2014 02:29AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

Last night, I attempted to burn a Blu-ray using FCP X's SHARE in my Pioneer Blu-ray deck. It failed. However, when I made a Master File and put in Compressor 3.5.3, it burned and played beautifully. My questions are is the FCP X SHARE Blu-ray program stable or should I just plan to export a Master File and use Compressor to burn my Blu-rays?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 17, 2014 08:49AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

I have seen reports of failing BluRay burns in FCP X, but the issue is not consistent. If the Compressor workflow does the job for you I would stick to it.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 18, 2014 01:35AM) philsfilm
Yes,Ronny, but that was the old Compressor which you report doesn't work in Yosemite.
I guess I'll have to purchase the new one along with FCP X.
Re: Title tracking with keyframes in FCP X (October 18, 2014 07:12AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

The new Compressor is worth it anyway. It is better and faster than the old version.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login