Re: Yosemite is out

Yosemite is out (October 17, 2014 06:44AM) steve douglas
Well, the new OS is out. Still not 100% sure that FC Studio will not work in it or if there are apps in Studio that will still work,like Compressor. Not even sure of the advantages that Yosemiti might offer as, it seems to me, most new OS's tend to be underwhelming. Haven't downloaded and installed it yet and will wait for others to make the mistakes I usually make.
Good luck all.
Re: Yosemite is out (October 17, 2014 06:56AM) Videot
I'm curious to see if FCP7 & friends work, and also Visual Hub, which was smashed by Lion and for which, I'm sure, we won't see another posthumous fix if an OS kills it again.

I'm in no hurry to update until I know Visual Hub is safe!

- Mike
Re: Yosemite is out (October 17, 2014 09:03AM) ronny courtens
I don't use Visual Hub, so I cannot say if it works on Yosemite or not. AFAIK Visual hub is not being developed anymore. But I have been testing FCP X, Motion 5, Compressor 4 and Logic pro X. All run perfectly on the new OS. As to Final Cut Studio, here's the result of our testing:

FCP 7 works fine, no issues.
DVDSP seems to have no problems at all.
Motion 4 does not work anymore on Yosemite. But Motion 5 does, and it is much better.
Same story for Compressor. The new Compressor works perfectly on Yosemite, and it is much faster than the old one anyway.
Soundtrack has become unusable, no big loss. If you have FCP X you can do anything you ever did in Soundtrack. With Logic Pro X you can do even much more, and you have a powerful audio mixer. FCP X and LPX work seamlessly together via XML.

Yosemite is a very important update for all modern Apple pro apps. It contains tons of enhancements in AV/Foundation that will certainly have an effect on the next FCP X feature update. So there is a chance that many new features in FCP X will only work with Yosemite. For FCS the OS does not make any difference.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 17, 2014 11:50AM) steve douglas
Good to know Ronny. I can always count on you to give the straight and accurate news.
Hope all is well,
Steve
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 01:31AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

Do you know if DVD Player still runs on it?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 03:43AM) steve douglas
Ron,
Just had a thought. You said previous versions of Motion will not work with Yosemite. I never purchased Motion 5 but have had no problems in FCX where some of the effects actually are based in Motion(to my understanding) Therefore, does this mean that in order for some fx in FCX, buying Motion 5 will be mandatory?
Steve
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 07:10AM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

You don't need to have Motion installed to use the Motion titles, effects or transitions templates in FCP X. Only when you want to customize existing titles or effects, or if you want to create next ones, will you need Motion.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 01:39PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 03:36PM) steve douglas
I guess I didn't put my question out correctly. Since Yosemite will not run Motion 4. If one does not have Motion 5 at all, will FCX still be able to do what it is asked to, even without Motion 5 installed.
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 03:39PM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

Yes, it will.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 05:30PM) philsfilm
Again, will DVD player run on Yosemite?

This is important.
Re: Yosemite is out (October 18, 2014 08:23PM) ronny courtens
I can confirm DVD player runs perfectly on Yosemite.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 22, 2014 04:10AM) Don
Will Yosemite run on an older imac?
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.54f36
Re: Yosemite is out (October 24, 2014 02:52AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Yosemite is out (October 29, 2014 05:32AM) steve douglas
I have both an Epson printer and scanner...that they won't work in Yosemite means I don't install it. Apple must be coming out with some sort of fix for this.
Steve
Re: Yosemite is out (October 29, 2014 05:35AM) ronny courtens
Hey Steve,

Go to the Epson website to see if they have new drivers available for your type of scanner and printer.
Drivers myst be updated by the device manufacturers.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 29, 2014 05:40AM) Don
Ronnie, Steve
Epson does it's updates through the Apple store (app store) Try Software Update. Canon in the past has refused to write new drivers for "older" products preferring you to buy new hardware instead. That's one of the reasons I use Epson products now.
Re: Yosemite is out (October 29, 2014 05:41AM) ronny courtens
Well, I didn't know that. Thank you for this information, very helpful!

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite is out (October 22, 2014 08:57AM) Don
Ronny
Do you know if Adobe CS5 apps will run under Yosemite? (After Effects CS 5.5, Photoshop CS 5.1, Illustrator CS5.1)
Thanks
Re: Yosemite is out (October 23, 2014 10:03AM) Joe Redifer
I am posting this from Yosemite. I installed it onto my backup drive to test things out. I can report that FCP7 works slightly better than it did in Mavericks. Video in the Canvas no longer has "screen tearing" or v-sync issues when played back. Now it's nice and solid like it was in pre-Mavericks OSes. The audio still needs immediate rendering when seemingly any filter is applied, however.

Soundtrack Pro seems to work the same as it did in Mavericks. It works fine..

FCPX is fine, maybe even a touch more responsive. However A/V Output is now greyed out. Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle does not seem to be recognized. System Preferences sees it. So does System Information. Blackmagic Media Express does NOT see it. Unplugging and reinserting the TB cable from the Shuttle itself got Media Express to see and use it, but FCPX still does not. It's important to me that Media Express sees and works with the device, not so much FCPX.

Of course the latest iterations of Compressor 4 and Motion 5 work.

Logic Pro X works.

iZotope RX works.

Photoshop CS6 works after "Initializing Type Tool". Premiere Pro CS6 seems to work. Adobe Audition CS6 works. After Effects CS6 works. Adobe Encore CS6 works.

Screenflow works.

Epson scan does NOT work. Looks like I'll have to use Preview to scan which has very few options. EDIT: Epson scan DOES work, I had my scanner powered off. :P

Skype, Twitter and all of that nonsense works.

So far am loving the OS. At 10.10.1 I think I'll put it on my main drive. It really is gorgeous. The EVEN Mac OSes are always really good. Just the opposite of Windows OSes. I give Yosemite a hearty thumbs up!

Re: Yosemite is out (October 23, 2014 11:15AM) philsfilm
Joe,

How about DVDSP4?

Thanks for checking and posting.

Phil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login