Re: spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives

spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives (October 17, 2014 10:42AM) eaveman
I have been using a really nice Lacie 1 TB SSD drive for most of my projects that have all been able to fit on the drive until recently, when I have been shooting in 4 K. So I am wondering if you can spread a FCX project over 2 external drives, and if so, how do you do it ?
Re: spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives (October 17, 2014 06:00PM) ronny courtens
A Library is a single container file, so just like any other file you cannot spread it over multiple drives unless you stripe the drives into a RAID system.

But if you keep your media external instead of managed (keep media outside of the Library) you can have the media for your production spread over as many drives as you can connect to your system.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives (October 20, 2014 07:48AM) eaveman
Thank you Ronny,
My intention is to get a minimum of a 2 TB SSD system, hopefully 4 * 512 SSD drives.
OWC is coming out with something soon.
I thought about getting a second Lacie 1TB SSD Little Big Disk but the new ones are Thunderbolt 2 while the present one I have is thunderbolt 1. I am not sure if it is possible to make those work together in a raid.
In the meantimeI might try to keep my media external instead of in the library so I can speed it out on another external hard drive. Can I do this in a current project where everything is already in a library ?
Thanks for your help,
John Eaves
Re: spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives (October 20, 2014 07:45AM) eaveman
Thank you Ronny,
My intention is to get a minimum of a 2 TB SSD system, hopefully 4 * 512 SSD drives.
OWC is coming out with something soon.
I thought about getting a second Lacie 1TB SSD Little Big Disk but the new ones are Thunderbolt 2 while the present one I have is thunderbolt 1. I am not sure if it is possible to make those work together in a raid.
In the meantimeI might try to keep my media external instead of in the library so I can speed it out on another external hard drive. Can I do this in a current project where everything is already in a library ?
Thanks for your help,
John Eaves
Re: spreading a FCX project over 2 SSD drives (October 20, 2014 07:56AM) ronny courtens
Hi John,

Yes you can do this easily in FCP X.

- Select your Library in the browser and in the Inspector > Library Properties press the Modify Settings button. The storage locations window will open.

- In this window click the Media dropdown box and select Choose. This will open a Finder window in which you can choose the drive where you want to store the media that are now inside your Library.

- When the new storage location has been set, click the Consolidate button to open the Consolidate window. Here you can select to include the optimized and proxy media or not. Click OK and all your media will be moved from your Library to the external drive.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login