Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X?

Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X? (October 21, 2014 01:17AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Is there a way in FCP X is to raise and lower the opacity of clip? I do this a lot when I'm layering one clip over another and I want to show a percentage of each one. I also like to raise or lower the opacity using key frames to create a fade-in or face-out instead of dropping a dissolve effect at the head or tail of the timeline. So far, I can't find anything close. In fact, when I type
"opacity" into "Help", nothing comes up.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X? (October 21, 2014 03:53AM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

Easy,

Select the clip in the timeline, in the Inspector > Video tab > very bottom in Compositing > Opacity

--ken
Re: Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X? (October 21, 2014 04:42AM) philsfilm
...and it's keyframeable, too.

Thanks, Ken.
Re: Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X? (October 21, 2014 09:04AM) johnmcd
Another way to do it? Right click on the clip in the timeline. Click "Show Video Animation." This opens a a window above the clip. The lowermost choice is "Compositing: Opacity." Double click that line. Within that, you can easily add opacity keyframes by Option-Clicking on the line at the top. You can then drag the keyframe up and down, seeing the percentage as is drops or rises. You can also grab the ends and fade them in or out, just like audio.
Re: Raise and lower the opacity of clip in FCP X? (October 21, 2014 10:23AM) philsfilm
Very cool!
Thank you so much, John.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login