Re: Problem with timeline audio in X

Problem with timeline audio in X (November 06, 2014 03:12PM) Trig Simon
Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 07, 2014 08:15PM) ronny courtens
Hi Trig,

The shot you show is not from the Angle editor, it's from the main timeline where you have cut the multicam clip. You have an audio channel under the multiclip, but I see in the waveforms that the audio channel is not in sync with the audio from the multiclip.

If the bud is in both the audio of the multiclip and the audio of that separate audio channel, either you make sure you sync the extra audio with the mmulticlip audio and then you can fade out the bud at the same place, or you have to find where the bud is on the non-synced audio and fade it separately.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 08, 2014 03:26AM) Trig Simon
Ronny, it looks like they are out of sync, but they are indeed in sync. What you see is the multiclip audio selection is the body mics camera with no one speaking. The bottom track is the shotgun ambient mic picking up the orchestra, that's why it has a waveform and the multicam doesn't.

If you could answer this question, perhaps it will clear things up for me.

If I want to cut out a 5 second section of the primary timeline, do I have to go into the angle editor and cut out the same 5 second section on all three tracks there? In this case, if I don't the audio from the angle editor 'echoes' in 5 seconds later.

This will happen many times between scenes, dance recital numbers, etc. It doesn't seem like this is a good workflow. Especially when you go to open the clip up in the angle editor, it goes to a random position, so you have to search for the correct position, and match up to the exact frame. There must be an easier way.

Thanks again,
Trig
Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 08, 2014 03:43AM) ronny courtens
Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 09, 2014 05:49AM) Trig Simon
Ronny, when I cut out the 5 seconds of the primary timeline and close the gap, I hear the audio with the video just fine, but then I hear it again 5 seconds later, from the ambient mic.

On the primary timeline, I selected the body mics to be constant on the multiclip. I put an independent ambient mic audio clip on the lower track of the primary timeline to continually mix with the body mic, depending on speaking parts or chorus singing or both.

Now, if I mute the ambient track in the angle editor, it also mutes the independent track I put on the primary timeline. So, I guess it isn't really independent.

What is my next step?

Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 09, 2014 10:43PM) ronny courtens
You have the ambient track in the Angle Editor, which means that it is already in the multiclip. And you have added the same ambient mic as a separate audio clip under the multiclip in the timeline to mix it with the multiclip audio? You don't need to do this at all. You can mix any audio right in the multiclip timeline. Let me explain.

Even when you have only used specific audio channels when cutting a multiclip (in this case the body mics), you still have access to every other audio channel (in this case the ambient audio) on your timeline and there is no need to add a separate audio track. This is how you do this:

Select your entire multiclip on the timeline (CMD+A) and expand the audio components (CTRL+ALT+S). You will see every cut you have made to the body mics.

Now if you want to use another audio channel (ambient mic) to mix it with the existing channels (body mics): select your first clip on the timeline and in the Inspector > Audio tab > Channel Configuration put a checkmark next to the ambient audio channel you want to use. The ambient audio channel will appear under your first clip in the timeline. Just stretch it out until it shows under your entire multiclip. Now you can mix it with the body mics wherever you wish.

When you need to cut out part of your multiclip (between scenes etc...) all you have to do is press R and drag a range around the part you wish to cut, then press Delete to delete that part. Both the video and all the audio angles will be cut at once. You even can add cross-fades between every body mic.

The screenshot below illustrates how this works. I have a multiclip in which I have switched the video angles and their corresponding audio (a1). Then I have selected the first clip, I have activated the ambient audio channel (ZOOM 009) in the Inspector > Channel Configuration and I have stretched that channel under all the cuts. Now I can fade the ambient channel up or down, I can drag on any audio clip to cross fade it with any other audio clip and I can select a Range (R-tool) to cut entire parts of the video and audio at once. Everything always remains in sync.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Problem with timeline audio in X (November 13, 2014 01:43AM) Trig Simon
Thank you Ronny for that great direction. Best advice I have gotten so far.

Is it normal for the Blade to cut through both the Video and Audio track? As I make the cut, the video and audio cut out for a split second. It's OK on playback, but annoying when trying to watch the flow as I am editing. It didn't do that before I followed this mornings direction. (But, it also doesn't stutter like it did last night, so that thread above this one is answered.)

Thank you much,
Trig
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login