Re: Relink Error

Relink Error (November 08, 2014 10:38PM) game-b
I had to Relink a huge Event. Too many files (over a 2000) , so the relink menu was not able to finalize. So I went through every single folder. But then suddenly, without me being aware of it, it had done everything, but I kept on relinking every folder. The result is now, that I have every clip 9 times in the Browser (!)... what a shame, sorry, but what can I do now, to reduce it to only one?

Edit: The other error, which I just saw, is, that like 30% of the clips are badly linked. Means in an former existing film/project, there are showing up the wrong clips in wrong editing places. Ohmygod. I think the best would be to delink everything and restart from zero? How would I do this?

Re: Relink Error (November 08, 2014 11:22PM) ronny courtens
You have to have a little patience with computers (-:

Are you doing this in FCP X? I have never have had to relink anything in FCP X (except when doing tests to see how it works), so what has caused the need for relinking? And it would really surprise me that FCP X is even capable of relinking to the wrong files. It is so extremely strict with relinking that I would think it is impossible to relink clips to files that are not exactly the same. So I wonder how this could be happening.

Anyway: if you are working with the latest version of FCP X I would simply open a Backup of your Library and start a new relinking process in a clean Browser. In the latest versions you only need to point to the main media folder to relink all folders and files inside that folder.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 12:14AM) game-b
Yes Ronny, I have patience. But I had already several times relink issues, also in the past with older versions. Sometimes there were only a few ones, which then I could relink manually and repair. But as soon as the amount of files are bigger, there are errors. I call them errors, because it is not all of them, it is not one folder or several folders which are wrong. Its some clips here and some clips there. Some are ok others are not. This last time the amount of files and folders were much bigger, hence a lot more errors, estimating around 30-40%, which for me is a little catastrophe. In the past, when I had errors, I just tried it again and then there were only a few errors left. Thats why I didn't choose the main folder with all the other folders inside when I had to choose the relink. I went instead from one folder to the other so it would be less amount and easier. I think the software cannot deal with such amount of relinks to do. I think it is not a question of my computer, because the time it needs is quite all right. Goes quick. I do have to relink sometimes, because I am copying old events into new libraries and other external hard drives etc. Anyway relink should work properly and not some yes and some not.
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 01:10AM) ronny courtens
I hope you don't move Events or media folders using the Finder? That would of course unlink media and it certainly would cause relinking errors. It is my experience that when you use the tools inside FCP X to move or copy anything, there is never any need to relink. The Consolidate command allows you to preserve the relation between your Events and your media, even when you move Events to new Libraries or media to different drives. Are you using this command?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 01:16AM) game-b
No, I didn't move an event. I moved the footage on the external hard drive onto another hard drive and then you have to relink. Now I trashed the "Error Event" and moved an earlier version of the same event (without the errors) back into the same library. And now I will try the whole relink again, will let you know.

Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 01:36AM) ronny courtens
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 02:12AM) game-b
Well I didn't originally move the main media folder to the other hard drive through consolidate event files. I moved it through the finder. I thought this was quite a normal procedure. Its like having your main hard drive may be broken and then have to use the backup hard drive. Simply use the same file structure but on a different hard drive. What is wrong with this? If this wouldn't work, what sence does it make to have backed up your whole footage identically on a different hard drive? I don't understand this.
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 02:36AM) ronny courtens
If you move media through the Finder you will need to relink. If you move it with Consolidate you never need to relink. That's the main difference. And here's a tip for making a safety backup of your footage: give the backup drive the same name as your original drive, disconnect the original drive, connect the backup drive and launch FCP X. You won't have to relink anything.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 12:36AM) game-b
Hey Ronny, to be more precise, the relink menu connected for example a 0008.mov file instead of the correct folder to the wrong folder. Means, the 0008 number is right, but it took the wrong path. The files are all connected, no missing files any more, but the wrong ones.
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 03:14AM) game-b
Anyway: relink didn't work out properly, for consolidate it was too late, so I had a real problem for around 40% of around 2200 clips, the project of the film looked like a chaos.

But I just found the solution :)))))) Oh my god.

I first copied through the finder the "untouched" event from an earlier backup library into my actual library after having erased "the error one", then I reimported every single folder with all the clips into the event (only selected "leave files in place") and they all went correctly into their original Keywordcollection and the project looks fine again. Ronny, thanks again for your support.
Re: Relink Error (November 09, 2014 03:17AM) ronny courtens
Happy to hear you have found a way to resolve this. And in the future don't move anything through Finder anymore. FCP X has everything that is needed to guarantee a solid media management.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login