DVD and FCPX

DVD and FCPX (November 17, 2014 10:06AM) SAD
Hi everyone...

I am working with FCP X on a 2013 Mac Pro which means---no dvd burner. I have a dvd burner on my laptop and I have been trying to transfer the project to an external hard drive to move to my laptop and haven't made it work.

Anyway, I am sure it's pilot error on my part...if anyone has a better workflow, let me know.

Any help, greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Re: DVD and FCPX (November 18, 2014 04:21AM) ronny courtens
Re: DVD and FCPX (November 20, 2014 02:19AM) Trig Simon
Ronnie, I have tried creating DVDs by sharing from FCPX, but see no place to arrange menu buttons, change text font and size, photo backgrounds, link to next menu, etc that I have grown accustom to in DVDSP4. Can I do the same things I did before, or is this just a basic burn what you have?

Thanks,
Trig
Re: DVD and FCPX (November 20, 2014 04:48AM) ronny courtens
Hi Trig,

Apple, just like Adobe, have stopped further development of their DVD or BluRay authoring applications. You can export to DVD or BluRay with a simple menu straight from FCP X, or you can export a master file from FCP X and still use DVDSP to create discs with more complex menus.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: DVD and FCPX (November 20, 2014 12:18PM) Alexander
Really, you should still use DVDSP to create discs with custom menus.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD and FCPX (November 21, 2014 12:52AM) philsfilm
I do one of two methods with FCP X to make DVDs:

1) I export a Master File from FCP X, put it into DVDSP4 and let it do the encoding and the rest of the work.

OR

2) Use the SHARE button in FCP X to make a DVD and let FCP X create the m2v and ac3 files. However, since Yosemite has
disabled the Create Disc feature, I then take those files and apply them as assets in DVDSP4 and let DVDSP4 make the
DVD. It works beautifully.

Of course, I am dreading the day when Apple destroys DVDSP4, a great program.

Phil
Re: DVD and FCPX (December 01, 2014 05:15PM) janedesting
Does Apple has its own dvd creater like iDVD? after editing your video in fcp ,you can convert them into vob. then use idvd to burn a disc. That's just what I thought.
Re: DVD and FCPX (December 01, 2014 09:30PM) Alexander
iDVD is/was an Apple product, now obsolete, and again an "under the hood" app which limits your control, and teaches you nothing.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD and FCPX (December 01, 2014 10:12PM) ronny courtens
iDVD still works as it always has, and it allows you to make a quick DVD with animated menus and without a lot of hassle. But I agree with Alexander that DVDSP is far more powerful. If you take the time to learn it you will be able to create very advanced DVDs with it.

Apple has never "destroyed" any applications, they just stopped further development of outdated technologies. Just like Adobe did with classic Premiere and Encore, Microsoft with older versions of Office and Avid with ABVB Media Composers. iDVD, Shake, Aperture, DVDSP, classic FCP still work fine and that will never change. At a certain point you won't be able to install them on a newer OS anymore, but that does not mean they stop working on the existing OS. If you still need those applications now and then you can leave them on an older computer or you can create a double OS in your new computer.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login