Music edit in FCP X

Music edit in FCP X (December 01, 2014 11:55AM) philsfilm
Re: Music edit in FCP X (December 01, 2014 09:10PM) ronny courtens
That's very easy to do.

Select the long music clip and press CMD+G to create a secondary storyline (this is the same as a new "track").
Then blade the clip (CMD+B) at the first marker point and insert the musical phrase.

The beauty of FCP X is that you can easily fine-tune your insert now because any secondary timeline is also magnetic. You can trim the insert at any side and the surrounding clips will automatically adjust, or you can press T and drag on any of the cuts to slide the edit points. Everything will always remain in tempo.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Music edit in FCP X (December 02, 2014 12:52AM) philsfilm
It worked like a charm, Ronny. It cut like butter. Thanks so much. But, just to be a total pain in your ass, what if I wanted to perform an audio transition or dissolve between the old and inserted section? Would I have to put the tracks (or "storylines") on different levels and overlap them and use the fade handles (see pic)? In the example, I only did it on one end. Can it be done on both?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Music edit in FCP X (December 02, 2014 01:45AM) ronny courtens
I will show you a neat trick.

Select the audio clip that is under the secondary storyline and press "P".
Then hold SHIFT and drag the audio clip upward. It will be added to the secondary storyline.
Now you can put regular dissolves between the audio clips (see screenshots).

NOTE: putting dissolves between audio clips is something we got used to in FCP7. And if you are doing all the audio yourself it's a good and fast method. But if your audio needs to be sent to an external audio studio for mixing they will absolutely hate you for having added cross dissolves between audio clips. A professional audio mixer prefers to see superimposed audio lanes with fade handles that he can tweak individually, just like in FCP X.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Music edit in FCP X (December 02, 2014 05:55AM) philsfilm
Thanks again, Ronny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login