Re: lost media drive

lost media drive (December 05, 2014 09:32AM) David
I'm not sure if I did it or not, but my internal media drive has disappeared. I trashed the contents of an SD card, emptied the trash, and tried to start FCP. It gave me a warning that my scratch disc was missing. Yep, the drive icon is gone, and I have looked in just about every folder on the HD for it. I don't know if it was also selected when I trashed the sd card or not, of if the drive just suddenly decided to stop working.

I depowered everything, unplugged both the system drive and the media drive, plugged them back in, powered up in hopes of restoring the media drive, to no avail.

Should I try booting up without the media drive plugged in, power down, plug it back in and reboot.

Thankfully, the drive was empty, and I'm about to start a new project, so I gotta have it. Any help greatly appreciated.

David
FCPStudio 5
G5 - OSX 10.4.11

Re: lost media drive (December 05, 2014 09:35AM) Ken Stone Admin
David,

With the drive plugged in and powered up, open Disk Utility. Does it show up there, if it does, can you select it and click on the 'Mount' button?

Do you have a disk utility like Disk Warrior?

--ken
Re: lost media drive (December 05, 2014 10:21AM) David
Don't have DW, but the system Disk Utility is "gathering disk information." Nothing in the assets window, gear continually turning...
DD
Re: lost media drive (December 05, 2014 10:30AM) David
Disk Utility is still "gathering disk information." There are no icons in the lefthand column.
Re: lost media drive (December 05, 2014 10:30AM) Trig Simon
David, I am an expert on crashed drives...wish I wasn't.
I know that if you have to send a drive in, be careful where you send it. I almost got burned getting one retrieved. Quoed me $2000, then came down to $1000 when I said no, then $600 when I wanted it back but said it would take 3 months, then said they would match Seagate at $500. I sent it to Seagate and will have it back in 2 weeks.

Trig
Re: lost media drive (December 05, 2014 11:15AM) David
It seems as though it is the HD. I put in one that I used years ago (200 G), and wal-ah! (is that how you spell that??) Anyway, it should do me for now until I can get another larger one. Disk Utility is still acting up for some reason. Sometimes it shows asset icons, sometimes it just sits there and "gathers disk information."

DD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login