Re: Renaming clip inconsistency

Renaming clip inconsistency (December 05, 2014 11:44PM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I imported some clips, assembled them quickly into the Timeline. Then, I began to rename them properly, removing the meaningless camera ID. What I noticed was that although the clip ID was changed in the Browser, it remained the same in the Timeline. The only way that I could get the ID to change in the Timeline was to re-edit the clip back in. This would not have been the case in FCP 7. In addition, I cannot find a way in FCP X to have the renamed clip be matched in the original file on my media drive as I could in FCP 7 which was a great feature.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Renaming clip inconsistency (December 06, 2014 12:45AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

That's correct. FCP X has a strict editing workflow: you import, you organize/rename the imported clips and then you start editing.

Properly organizing and naming clips in the Browser prior to editing saves you a lot of time when doing the actual edit. It's a matter of getting used to doing it correctly from the start. We may see some more flexibility with this in a next update, but it's always better to organize first and then start editing.

Renaming the original media in Finder based on renamed browser clips was only introduced in FCP after 4 years, and it was very controversial as it could cause major issues with media management (which we all know was extremely weak in FCP). So I don't know if this "feature" will ever be introduced in FCP X again. Once the media are imported in the FCP X browser you don't need to care about the original media files ever gain. You can manage everything within the application without ever needing to go into the original media folder.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: Renaming clip inconsistency (December 06, 2014 01:04AM) philsfilm
Thanks, Ronny. That's what I figured.
Re: Renaming clip inconsistency (December 06, 2014 02:34AM) ronny courtens
I do agree with you it would be much more logical if clip names remained consistent in the browser and the timeline, no matter where you change the name. Use the Feedback form to submit a feature request, I'm sure this one is already high on the list.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Renaming clip inconsistency (December 06, 2014 03:01AM) philsfilm
Will do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login