Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X

Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 07:14AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I've been trying to import a Photoshop document into FCP X with all layers so that I can open it in the timeline. What I get is a single layered image without any layered icon in the left upper corner of the thumbnail and, of course, it will not Open in the Timeline. Is there some kind of special way to import Photoshop documents that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 07:29AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 07:54AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I'm running 10.1.4. I was just watching one of Larry's tutorials. For some reason, FCP X is not seeing it as a PSD.
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 08:08AM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

Check how you saved the file from PS.

Maybe trashing your FCP X Prefs might fix the issue.

FCP X 10.1.2 or later

Quit FCP.

Press and hold Option + Cmd while launching FCP X from the Dock. A dialog appears asking if you want to trash Final Cut’s preference files. Click Delete Preference.

--ken
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (September 30, 2015 10:39PM) Muirgarth
Pixelmator fixed it for me too. Thanks Ronny!
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 08:06AM) philsfilm
Ken,

I've attached an image so you can see the highlighted clip in the Browser is a PSD. The layers are not being recognized. There is no icon in the thumbnail. See attachment.

-Phil
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 08:33AM) ronny courtens
The file in the screenshot is not a layered PSD file, probably a flattened one.

Layered PSD clips in the browser have a layer icon top left of the clip (see screenshot).

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 09:46AM) philsfilm
Yes, Ronny. I know that. But I have no idea why it would be flattened. The problem is that my Photoshop program was a trial one so I can't re-open Photoshop to check it since the trial period has expired.
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 10:31AM) ronny courtens
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 10, 2014 12:33PM) philsfilm
Thanks, Ronny. I will check out Pixilanimator and let you know.
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 11, 2014 03:52AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

Just got Pixelmator and was able to open up the layered PSD in FCPX.

Thanks so much,
Phil
Re: Importing & Opening Photoshop Documents in FCP X (December 11, 2014 03:53AM) ronny courtens
Glad it worked, Phil.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login