Re: Moving sections of Timeline in FCP X

Moving sections of Timeline in FCP X (December 11, 2014 04:49AM) ericcosh
Good morning all.
Is there a command that will allow me to move portions of my Timeline Left or Right after I cut it with the Blade Tool? In other words, let's say I have a project with 6 or more layers of audio, video & graphics and I want to extend one of these. What I've done in the past is just use the Blade tool to cut the Timeline where I want to make the changes and then select the timeline (either left or right of the blade) us the P key, and then move that section. What I want to do is not have to do all that. I just want to select a section of the timeline and with a command, move the entire timeline left or right so I can extend a clip of audio, video or graphics. I know the command for doing one frame at a time, but I want to be able to do seconds or longer.

warmly,
eric
Re: Moving sections of Timeline in FCP X (December 11, 2014 05:53AM) Trig Simon
Eric, Ronny answered this for me last week:

Put your playhead on the cut before the first one of the clips you want to move to the right and press ALT + W. This will insert a gap just before the first clip.

Now you can drag the right edge of the gap clip to move everything behind it to the right. (see attached).

Or you can select the gap clip, press CTRL+D and enter a duration in the timecode HUD. This will move everything behind it to the right with the exact duration you have set (see screenshot 2)

Hope it covers your question.

Re: Moving sections of Timeline in FCP X (December 17, 2014 06:34AM) el professor
Also, I use this Control + D all the time while editing in FCX.
I click on a title that I want to change from 5 sec to 10,
hit Control +D and type in 10 then hit the period to change it from 10 frames to 10 sec.
it always includes the place for frames so you have to make sure it reads 10.00 for 10 sec.
The period is a short cut. If you hit the period a 2nd time it'll be 2 minutes, a third time 2 hours...etc.

You can click on transitions and do that also to shorten crossfades or lengthen them, etc.

I use that command frequently during the course of a project on a time line to work with pretty much anything.

It's a very convenient command.

el profe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login