Re: Timeline freezing ALOT

Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 07:17AM) Rogue2x
Im having trouble with FCP freezing up every time the sequence jumps from one track to another. I get the standard message of "turn off unlimited RT, lower compression data rate, etc" but it doesn't seem to be annoys these things.

Any ideas on what might be going on would be great appreciated. This hasn't always been the case but has been happening over the past few months.

thanks.
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 08:28AM) Ken Stone Admin
Questions. Can we assume that you are talking about FCP 7?

How much ram do you have? Tell us about your hard drives. How many media drives, how full and what type of drives, USB - FW, what?

How long is your Project?

What Mac?

--ken
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 08:36AM) Rogue2x
FCP 7.03 yes

I have an iMac (27 inch mid 2010)

Processor 2.8 GHs Ontel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I recently switched over to OS X Yosemite which may be irrelevant but i did start seeing some changes around then. The project I'm working on is running off a Lacie 3TB external hard drive. thats about 80% full.

thx again

R
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 09:59AM) Ken Stone Admin
Several things come to mind. First off, 8 gigs of ram is a little on the light side, normally 16 gigs is considered to be the minimum. You did not say how long your Project is.

Your hard drive, at 80% is too full. This is going to slow things down.

I have not heard of any issues with Yosemite and FCP 7, but something could be going on.

--ken
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 10:35AM) Rogue2x
Thanks Ken...i'll look into some upgrades.

cheers

R
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 14, 2014 10:37AM) Ken Stone Admin
I think that you need to do something about your hard dive space first.

--ken
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 15, 2014 04:08AM) VidGreg
Hey Rogue2x,
In addition to all Ken says, spot on IMHO.
What codec are you editing in? Some codecs are notorious for eating up CPU and RAM resources.
You can monitor most of this using Activity Monitor in your utilities folder.
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Timeline freezing ALOT (December 20, 2014 11:54PM) XGTV
I hate to go against what has already been said but Fcp7 is a 32bit application and as such can only address 4gigs of ram, and in practice only 2.5gigs.
Yosemite is really bad for fcp7, they gave no consideration to FCS during development and it kills compressor stone dead. Fcp is heavily dependent on QuickTime which is already being phased out, QuickTime X is a feeble vestage of what QuickTime 7 was. Going for the big numbers isn't a good thing if you want to continue working with old software, in the case of fcp7 I wouldn't go any higher than Mountain Lion. Apple giveth and Apple taketh away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login