Re: Adding harddrive to RAID

Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 03:30AM) Trig Simon
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 07:14AM) ronny courtens
Hi Trig,

A RAID is a combination of multiple drives striped to one single volume. You never, ever should take a drive out of a RAID system unless the drive is toast and you want to replace it with a brand new drive, which will immediately be wiped and reformatted as soon as you put it in the RAID.

So yes you absolutely should get a different external bay for any other drive.

- Ronny

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 08:28AM) Trig Simon
Ronny, when I add an external drive, does the RAID grab files from that external drive and do auto-redundancy or backup? or do I have to manually put the new files into the raid system? I eventually want to format the entire RAID and start over since two of the drives are 98% full. This stuff is really scary.

Trig
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 08:57AM) ronny courtens
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 09:24AM) Trig Simon
Ronny, if the 5 drives are the same, identical throughout, purchased all from B&H, can I still format all of the drives, completely empty them of all data and start over?

Trig
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 09:28AM) ronny courtens
Hi Trig,

Yes, that would be perfect. Your drives will be emptied and formatted while you create the RAID partition. I don't know how the Drobo exactly stripes the drives to RAID, but I have heard it's an easy setup. Check the manual or call the reseller to assist you. Once your 5 drives are striped together as one single drive you should get great speeds.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Adding harddrive to RAID (December 18, 2014 09:33AM) Trig Simon
Whew!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login