Re: Footage shot at 60p - how to slow to true 30p

Footage shot at 60p - how to slow to true 30p (January 23, 2015 07:32AM) Wayne Jacobs
I'm using FCP7 and I have a question:

A few months ago I shot a lot of 1080 footage in the UK at 60p because I knew that I wanted to slow it down 50% to 30p and get the highest quality slow motion footage that uses every frame I shot.

It appears that if you put 60p into FCP7's timeline and "Change Speed" to 50% you don't get to use/see every frame - instead, if you click one frame at a time you see..... new frame, duplicate of that frame, then a new frame, and next a duplicate of that last frame. It's the same as if I had shot it at 30p and changed the speed to 50%.

I don't what to use frame blending or duplicates of previous frames....

How can I get true 50% slow motion from this 60p footage that actually uses/shows each frame that I shot?

Thanks,
Wayne
Re: Footage shot at 60p - how to slow to true 30p (January 23, 2015 07:47AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Footage shot at 60p - how to slow to true 30p (January 23, 2015 10:42AM) Wayne Jacobs
Yes I did, the only options from the Easy Setup menu was "HD" then below that, "HDV - 1080p30 Firewire Basic" - there were others but I wanted to stay away from any 720p choices....

I then created a new sequence, moved the 60p footage into it, and of course it gave me the "this clip does not match the sequence setting....." message, and "Change the sequence setting to the clip setting?" and I chose "No."

The footage in that timeline plays at the original speed and if I change the speed to 50%, I still get the new frame, duplicate frame, new frame, duplicate frame --- when I advance one frame at a time.... so it's still throwing away every other frame and duplicating a frame to make 50% slow motion.

I'm using Apple ProRes 422 LT and it does say that it is 59.94 fps 1920x1080.

Should I have picked another "Easy Setup" for the ProRes 422 LT footage??

Thanks for your help!
Wayne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login