Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X

Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 26, 2015 03:18AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Working in FCP X, I'm trying create a shadow behind a title in order to distinguish it better from the background scene. I used the Custom Black generator placed on the level below the title and cropped it to the appropriate size. Next, I tried softening it using the Gaussian blur filter to no effect. In FCP 7, this would be easy: I would simply apply the Mask Feather filter in the Matte category within the Video Filters to a cropped Slug. However, I see nothing seeing similar in FCP X.
There must be a way to do this.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 26, 2015 10:42AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

This is very easy in FCP X, and there are different ways you can do this:

1. Select the title on the Timeline and in the Inspector > Text tab click on the Drop Shadow box to activate it. This will instantly add a drop shadow under your title. You can select the color, the opacity, the blur amount, the distance and the angle of the drop shadow (see pic 1)

2. In the Effects browser click on Stylize. Under Stylize you will find the Drop Shadow filter. Add the filter to your title clip. This filter has more controls than the simple drop shadow option. You even can put your drop shadows in perspective (see pic 2)

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 27, 2015 04:25AM) philsfilm
Thanks for the input, Ronny but I think you missed my point. What I wanted to do is blur the black Custom (from Solids in Generator) in order to darken the area behind the title (which already has a white drop shadow behind it) in order to make it stand out against the background of the church walls. Like I said earlier, this was easy to do in FCP 7 by cropping and blurring a Slug with Mask Feather.
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 27, 2015 06:05AM) ronny courtens
My bad, I have read too fast.

This is also very easy. Go to the Effects Browser and under Keying you will find the Mask filter. Apply that filter to your Custom black generator and use the on-screen controls to crop the generator, then use Feather and Opacity in the Inspector to feather the black background and make it transparent. Same as in FCP7, with some more control options.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 27, 2015 08:33AM) philsfilm
Much better, Ronny.
I also found that using the Alex4D Trim feature gives me very precise cropping and feathering control.
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 27, 2015 06:25PM) ronny courtens
Now that's what I call a beautiful invisible effect. Well done!!!

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Create Shadow behind Title in FCP X (January 28, 2015 12:32AM) philsfilm
Thanks, Ronny.

I just wanted to darken the background enough to make the titles pop out a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login