Re: Timeline won't render

Timeline won't render (January 27, 2015 02:16AM) ericcosh
Hi all:

I had this problem once before and I don't remember what I did to fix it. Here is what is happening. I have footage on FCP X and then I added a separate audio track that I recorded with my H6. Everything looks and works great, except once it reaches 100 percent rendered, it keeps going from 0 to 100 and several times a second and never stops. If I turn off the video (V) and just leave the audio track, it works fine. If I turn off the audio track and keep the video & camera audio on, it keeps trying to render. Everything else works just great.

Any thoughts?

warmly,
eric
Re: Timeline won't render (January 27, 2015 07:15AM) ronny courtens
Hi Eric,

Delete your Project render files and render again, that should fix the issue. You don't really need to render anything prior to exporting, you only need to render for full-quality playback purposes.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Timeline won't render (January 27, 2015 09:10AM) ericcosh
HI Ronny:
Thanks for the suggestion. I strongly suspect that my file is bad. I just took the file to my other computer and it did the same thing. I shot it in ProRes 422 instead of HQ like I always do. The reason is I only have the 64gb Extreme Pro cards and that only gives me around 40 minutes and this was longer than that. I'm going to try to do another test recording with my Black Magic Pocket camera and see if I get the same results. I'll let you know.

Again, thanks again for all your help. Here is a link to my film Sammy the Journey. Just go to SammyTheJourney.com/movies and you can watch Parts 1 through 4. Next week I'll be adding Parts 5, 6 & 7 and then on the 15th, I'll send 8, 9 & 10 to stream. Each Part is approximately 9 minutes and the total documentary is 88 minutes.

warmly,

eric
Re: Timeline won't render (January 27, 2015 06:05PM) ronny courtens
Hi Eric,

I agree there may be something wrong with the original file. You could try to open the file in QT7Pro and re-convert it to a new ProRes 422 file. This will recompress every frame, which could solve any technical issues with the file. Recompressing ProRes 422 is a visually lossless process, you won't lose any quality.

If you don't need the camera audio another thing you can try is to detach the audio in FCP X (SHIFT+CTRL+S) and delete the camera audio. If this solves the rendering issue this means the problem is with the recorded audio.

I watched the two first parts of your doc. Well done and a very worthy project!

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Timeline won't render (January 27, 2015 11:45PM) ericcosh
Thanks for your help on this issue Ronny. I'm trying a different Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb SDHC card right now to see if I can get this to Export a 30 minute clip that I'm recording using Pro res 422. The one I did last night using the Extreme (45mb/s) 64GB did the same thing as my original file. It looks and plays great on the timeline, but when I hit Share Export Master File, after a few minutes, it comes back Failed! So far I've recorded on different drives, and even different computers, so after the experiment that I'm doing now, if this also fails, I'm going with your suggestion.

Thanks again Ronny for all your wonderful suggestions as always and thanks for the compliment on my documentary.

warmly,
eric
Re: Timeline won't render (January 28, 2015 02:57PM) ericcosh
I fixed it Ronny: I worked on it all day long and then decided to try my Black Magic Cinema Camera & my HVX. Both of those cameras worked perfectly on both computers. Now I knew it had to be something with my Black Magic Pocket Cameras since both of them reacted the same and on all the cards. The answer? It had to be something about the formatting. So–I just erased the cards right inside my computer and emptied the Trash. I then shot for 40 minutes, brought it into FCP and Shared it in HQ. No more Failed messages. That was the problem. I'll post what I did on the Black Magic Board in the morning. Right now it's time to have a Scotch and Celebrate.

Thanks again Ronny for all your suggestions.

warmly,
eric
Re: Timeline won't render (January 28, 2015 05:48PM) ronny courtens
Hi Eric,

Good to hear you found the cause of this, and interesting to know.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Timeline won't render (January 29, 2015 04:59AM) ericcosh
Hi Ronny:
Just wanted you to know that everything is fixed. What I did was go to the Black Magic site and downloaded the latest firmware which is 1.9.10 and that fixed the formatting problem I had. That was the first thing that I suspected so I had gone into Black Magic Utility and plugged my camera in and it said my camera was up to date. I forgot that I have to get the latest firmware downloads directly from the Black Magic Support Site and then bring that into Black Magic Utility. Must be an age thing.

warmly,
eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login