Re: Bleeding red on monitors

Bleeding red on monitors (February 18, 2015 09:16AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I have a scene in my FCP 7 timeline that has an Elmo stuffed animal which is extremely red causing that color to bleed on some monitors (usually SD ones). I don't want to desaturate the entire scene. I've applied the RGB Limit filter which pulls the red down on the RGB scope. The scene looks fine on my 27" iMac but I'm not sure if it will be improved on the other monitors.

Can you suggest anything else that I might try to de-intensify the red?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 19, 2015 02:17AM) Videot
Not sure about that, but I have four kids and Elmo makes my ears bleed.
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 19, 2015 03:21AM) philsfilm
LOL
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 19, 2015 03:54AM) XGTV
Have you tried the 3 way color corrector?
If you drop it on the clip, open up the control panel then way down at the bottom click the discloser triangle to open up the Limit effect menu. Select your red with the eye dropper and adjust it as you like.
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 20, 2015 07:29PM) Joe Redifer
How are you hooking it up to the SD monitors? With composite the red will bleed A LOT! With s-video the red will still bleed but everything will be much improved. Component and RGB should look near perfect depending on make, model and calibration.

Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 21, 2015 12:35AM) philsfilm
Yes, Joe, it happens on TVs with RCA patches hooked up to the DVD player. Like I said, it looks OK on my iMac but I have no control over how it looks on other monitors or TVs. The one where the complaint is coming from is an old TV. Going back to my days in TV commercial post-production, the worry was always how much the red would bleed on the average TV despite looking great on the studio RGB calibrated monitor. In this instance, I had warned the director about this when the scene was shot. But of course, it was the old story: "You can fix it in post."
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 21, 2015 03:38PM) Joe Redifer
Tell them that this is 2015 and there is no need for composite any more. At least step up to the late 90's with s-video. Problem solved... or at least improved!
Re: Bleeding red on monitors (February 22, 2015 04:01AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login