Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline

Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 20, 2015 11:09PM) game-b
I have my final storyline with the video edited and the audio edited. I exported the whole storyline and gave it to a friend, who has done the colour grading on the exported new .mov file, cut by cut, on a different system/programm (XML exporting was too complex we decided). I know it is a bit unusual working flow, but this is how we needed to do it.

Now I want to reimport the colour graded .mov copy, but:
- need to put on top all the subtitles and original titles, which I previously converted into a Compound Clip, that shouldn't be a problem
- how would I put in this reimported copy, so that the original edited video story line is "deactivated"
- how can I have the whole audio storyline seperated but active, so I can do some changes (I need to change some music, sounds, interviews etc in the audio). I basically need the audio storyline separated. As FCPX doesn't have these things on separated tracks any more, what should I do?

Sorry it sounds a bit weird...:))
Cheers
Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 21, 2015 12:19AM) ronny courtens
Duplicate the Project for safety reasons. Click in the duplicate timeline, press CMD+A and then SHIFT+CTRL+S. This will separate the audio from the video clips on the timeline.

Then select all the video clips and press SHIFT+DELETE (Backspace key). This will delete all the original video without affecting the audio sync. The video on the storyline will be replaced by a Gap clip.

Now all you need to do is put your playhead at the start of your timeline, select the graded clip in the Browser and press D. The Gap clip will be replaced with the graded clip and your audio will stay perfectly in sync with the graded video. As you have added the grade video to the Primary Storyline your titles and subtitles will automatically be on top of it.

Now you can make any changes to the audio you wish.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 21, 2015 12:27AM) game-b
Ronny you are the best
cheers
Lucian
Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 21, 2015 12:46AM) game-b
Another little question, that has to do with computer. I was editing without any problems this one hour documentary, in ProRes 422 with some effects etc in there, without any rendering. As soon as I started to add subtitles and titles, the machine started to have more and more trouble, wouldn't go smooth anymore, and now that I am coming to and end the machine is really struggling, any audio changes is taking a while, will take seconds before play starts etc. I don't understand that. The subtitles are not really big files, neither are the small changes I am doing to audio. Cause I am travelling and shooting and editing at the same time, the machine is a Macbook Air 11, 8GB, 2.0Ghz, you will may be laugh about that, but the video editing so far, as I said, was without any problems at all. Any suggestions?
Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 21, 2015 03:15AM) ronny courtens
I never laugh about a MacBook Air, it works great with FCP X and these portables constantly get better and more performant.

But titles are gigantic memory hogs. As you will know, titles in FCP X are actually Motion templates. The good thing about this is that they can be fully customized and modified, the bad thing is that they draw a lot of resources from your system even if the actual titles are simple.

This is not a problem if your hardware has loads of RAM, fast GPUs and CPUs, or if the program is short-form. But it can be a real problem when you try to edit a long project with lots of titles on limited hardware.

So how can you get around this? There are a few options, depending on your project:

- Always make sure that any titles on the timeline are rendered, this takes away a lot of strain from your CPU.

- Disable your titles when you don't really need to see them: select the titles and press "V". In your case you can disable the Compound Clip that contains all your titles and subtitles when you just need to modify the audio. This will make a big difference in your overall editing and playback performance, and you can easily re-enable the titles before you export your finished program.

- If you really need to see the titles but you know you won't need to modify them anymore, you can export the titles as a ProRes 4444 movie and replace the original titles with the movie. This will again make a big difference, and the 4444 movie can still be edited and retimed whenever you wish.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Reimporting colour graded video copy into storyline (February 21, 2015 04:10AM) game-b
Thats quite understandable now, I will try this, thanks again Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login